Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Arrowheads
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:30 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Talk about your obsolete weapons. Here are some pictures of four arrowhead that I have had around for a while.

The two pictures above are of an arrow head, maybe a spearhead due to its size, about three inches long. I bought this one at the swap meet in Yucca Valley, Calif. about 30 years ago. It was made of some kind of red/pink opaque stone.

The arrowhead in the two picture above is a broad, flattish type, about 1.75 inches long. It's made of a light tan chalky material. I can't recall where I got it.

The arrowhead above is a little over two inches long and looks like it's made out of a rock like slate. One side is concave. Don't recall where I got this one, either.

This last arrowhead pictured above is about an inch and a half long. This one I got at Pioneer Village in Minden, Nebr. on a trip to Iowa in 1959. There is the remains of a decal on one side that say where it's from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:12 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

those are so cool - and nice looking for display :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:42 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I wish I could find my one and only arrowhead find once more. I carried it for years as a good luck charm.

It was a real beauty, and from what I've read a very rare type used as trade goods and found in very widespread locations where the stone can't be found locally.

Its an opaque pink quartz with a chisel point.

Shortly after I found it I was reading a crime drama set on an Indian Reservation, the book was titled "Dancehall of The Dead".
In the book a character finds an arrowhead that perfectly matched the one I found in real life. They discuss the arrowhead and said it was considered magical in some way and these were carried in a warriors medicine bag.

The stone my arrowhead is made of is such an odd color it doesn't look natural, it almost looks like plastic. Opaque and homogenous with no variation in color or shading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:00 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

sorry to hear that don , it would sure be nice if somehow these could be recovered for you ,

one of the fellows from DPMS has a wonderfull collection of artifacts with quite a few arrowheads , he is from southern illinois and these have been in his family for generations ,
wish my family had thought to collect things like this , i know a number of them passed thru their hands over the years because both my grandfathers spoke of finding them on the farms they worked as kids , just didnt keep any of it :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:19 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

.....I only have one found -but ol' tetsau send me a nice assortment from his "backyard-I'll have to see if I can get a detailed enough pic with the cellcam to post of them... ;)