[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - AR-15 Test Fire Report: Jam... Marmalade 2?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:48 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

So... do the Gun Gods just not want me to have a semi-auto rifle that works right? :nzd: :vis: :thnk: :nunu: :nunu: :nunu:

So I took it out to the range for a test fire, just couldnt wait to get any kind of sights on it, just wanted to see if it would fire. Popped off about five rounds real good then got this feeding problem. Now I know that the parts are all good. Rock-River upper, Superior Arms Lower... but this feeding thing. Maybe this IS how semi-autos are SUPPOSED to work and movies have just lied to me all along.

So anybody got any ideas whats causing this? The magazines are pretty well used mil-surp ones. Weak springs?

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:29 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:58 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:57 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Went and bought three new/used magazines today... three new jams...

Now if this keeps happening when I get a NEW magazine... Then I'm gonna get p.o.'ed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:54 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Well thats not good!!

3 mags just cant be bad, now its time to take another look at this.

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:09 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

You ain't a kiddin! I hope its not that my AR doesn't like Wolf Ammo, cause I've got about 1,500 rounds of it.

Was only at the range for about 10 minutes though after buying the mags. They were used ones, but I just find it odd that 6 different surplus mags would be bad. Will have to go out again when I've got a lot more time to deal with it and see what's going on...

Maybe the gun gods want me to get a SVT-40 and this is just their subtle way of letting me know *lol*

Next time I go out gonna head out with a friend of mine who knows a lot more about AR's than me and have him look at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:35 pm 
Major
Major

It's hard for me to see what exactly is going on. Can you describe what is happening? Point hitting near chamber? Possibly your upper and lower are not mated right, causing a weird angle of attack for the cartridge. I would say the problem has to be in the lower and it's relationship to the upper. Are the jams always similar? What percent of the time are you getting failures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:28 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Seems to be on the bottom, either side of the chamber
____
/oooo\
|ooooo|
\____/
X |||| X

The X's are sort of in relation to where it is hangin' up. Seems like its getting hung up on the lip before the chamber... very reminiscent of my SKS. This jams about ever 1 to 2 to 3 to 5 rounds. The SKS... that just jams almost every round...

So how does one "mate" a lower to an upper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:00 am 
Major
Major

I have seen a few guns that were assembled from different make uppers and lowers where they either had so much play it wobbled, or the gun would not close and pin up. I am not an expert AR armorer, but it seems that the feed off the mag should be angled slightly higher.Like what you would get if you pushed the lower protruding part of the mag foward toward the muzzle. It would change the angle of attack where the case body would hit the feed ramp and the nose of the bullet would be higher. Anyway, I feel it's in that upper lower fit, or a defective lower that is holding the mag at a bad angle. Any chance of swapping a different lower (borrowed) to see if the problem goes away, or if your lower causes problems on another upper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:04 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Here is a closer image for inspection.

Yeah, I'm certainly going to try it on a different AR. They seem to fit pretty well with each other, it doesn't wobble or anything like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:39 am 
Major
Major

Somehow if the front of the mag sat 1/8 of an inch higher,or the angle was somewhat more upward, I think it would feed right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:00 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Just need to try out what you said now about trying it with different uppers.

I hope I don't have a wonky lower. I thought these things were made with "tolerances" in mind!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:26 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im less of an AR armorer than he is but it looks like a feed angle to me as well , i think id clean the bolt and carrier and check the gas tube for clean , dont oil it , then check the buffer tube , try a diferent ammo[but mine run great on wolf-so i doubt thats the problem] dont use hollow points or soft points - try standard ball ,
this has to be solveable , if all else fails go to AR15 site and ask there they have experts , or come see me here we can run out to the DPMS factory and have my buddy tom look at it - he is an armorer and assembles these from parts in the dark in his sleep [i will check with him as soon as i can and get back to you]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:08 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:27 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Greatful for any help! Tried some new self levelling followers in the mags, which only sort of worked, going to try a totally new Magpul mag and see if that works or maybe just get some new springs for the mags. I hope its just a matter of me having some worn surplus magazines...

Will keep you updated. Should have tried the new mag in it by the beginning of the week.

Actually I do happen to be in Minneapolis through Sunday if you do have some free time, or would like to get a look at it. Let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:21 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

sorry i missed this post - i supose you meant today when you mentioned sunday ? if not ill post you a phone number and we might work it out that i could get it looked at for you ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:49 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yeah, was just up there till today. But I do manage to make it up that way on a Semi-Regular basis. I'll send you a PM with my phone number so maybe we can arrange something next time I get up there. I hope to try a totally new magazine sometime this week.

I'll keep everybody posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:42 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

What worries me about your rifle (and this may just be me) but the AR should work with just about any kind of AR mag! My 2 AR's function with just about all of my 30 mags (yes I know 2 many) with the exception of 2 of the 20 rounders that were "converted to 10" for us Californians :-( I hope you can solve this issue correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:04 pm 
Major
Major

I too feel it is not a mag problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:00 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Well, right now all my hopes are pinned on weak springs... if its not that, then we'll have to dig deeper :(