[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - so if you were going to choose between

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:56 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

keeping your bolt action collection [extensive] and your self-loaders [expensive] what would you get rid of ?

i realise most would say neither - get rid of something else , OK , i agree , im trying to settle my mind[which is going 90mph in spite of the fact i cant keep up] :D

and im having an internal arguement within , about what i care about most [in spite of the fact that at my advanced age i cant recall from day to day what i do care about]

but im being realistic --- i may need to downsize in the upomming years to have adequate space and security , its not a current event but i can see [now that im older and wiser] the handwriting on the wall so-to-speak ,

if it were you ---what would you base your culling on , and why ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:47 pm 
Major
Major

I think Crunchman has it nailed execept I would keep two of the same based on which one had the most ammo. Keep one for parts rather than two different ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:54 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i like both of those answers ,
i can relate to each ,
i agree with the SHTF idea and i love my ARs for their reliability ,and i have a reasonable stock of ammo that would not take up too much space ,
i also relate in terms of the handgun - my two inglis fit that catagory as well as adding to the options , i have holster options and plenty of ammo ,

but , this assumes the worst case senario , what if its my wife saying we dont need this big of a house - and oh , BTW , you now have only one closet for ALL OF YOUR STUFF :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:00 pm 
Major
Major

Another thought:

If a person did not have much ammo, then a better choice might be to have a little more options such as keeping those which you would have a better chance of scrounging ammo for such as 223, 308 30-06. Those which there is an abundance of popular use. One is not likely to find much 7.5 french, even less popular US rounds. Overall military rounds are more easily found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:15 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

gotta agree with that - looting the local scheels will produce more 223/308/3006 and of couse 22 which i think might be a very viable secondary in terms of food and close self defence ,

but what about my collectibles ? and what about the simple downsize of old farts to smaller residences ? its very real folks , its comming if we want it or not [my birthday is comming in two months as much as ive been resisting and denieing it]

and what if your wife never met a closet she couldnt fill ? -----oh , you stuff , cant you find a place in the garage for that ? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:46 pm 
Major
Major

I had not thought of an intolerant wife. That would be worse than politically motivated gungrabbers. That really would depend on a person's exact personal situation such as house size and location such as urban, suburban, country, and area around house (underbed pull out collection on wheels) too many unknowns to speculate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:13 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ohh .....its not intolerance , i can keep all my stuff , its just that i may need to find a diferent place to keep it , its not essentialafter all .....in her mind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:39 pm 
Major
Major

Yes my answer would be give up neither...but you could thin the ranks and still keep some bolt actions, and some semi's. For example, you may have 4 '03's. Keep one. Keep one No4 instead of 3; Keep one AR, one MIA, one Sks. You could theretically thin rather than eliminate an area. I would have trouble giving up just 10% of what I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:52 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

A Square, you're starting to worry me with all these posts of thinning the herd.
But if you are set on that road, send them to me, I'll gladly pay the postage :D

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:04 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

not to worry ---yet----i was just in a speculating mood and started looking at all sorts of angles , it seemed interesting as a topic and worthy of discussion , im pleased with all the good , useable responces

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:58 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

pete , i see your points and agree with the 556 and 9mm those are my fall back-go to units , im hoping that if it ever gets to SHTF my family is together and the rifles are still in the closet , but , if need be i can do with less than i have now ,

OK DUANE , i agree - your right , im thinking too much and need to shoot a bit , this weekends endevor ,
next time im down i will set up in advance and we must get together , and i need to bring the radioman something ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:20 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Last edited by kriegstahl on Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:01 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i have - the M1A launches it , if it hits the table or the slab its bent ,

having said that - i want to know if mikey has a secret to make the SKS more accurate , i cant get mine to equal the ARs or the M1A , or most of my bolts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ok , im taking my chinese back out with the intent of giving it the workout with care to accuacy , in the past it was a seciond to the rifles i intended to shoot , perhaps i was not fair with it , i do love the rifle :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:15 pm 
Major
Major

The only thing I find lacking in the SKS is the trigger group. I wish it had trigger hooks and sear rather than the sliding bar. Some where in my list of intended but will never get to is to design a better trigger--the one thing the Ak has that is much better IMHO.

Both AK and SKS would be more accurate if the ball throat in the chamber started at 0.312 inch rather than 0.335 inch. This allows the base of the bullet to yaw and deform. Research has shown that this alone causes the bullet to exit the barrel with an average of twice the MOA variance than a chamber with a 0.312 throat. 8) 8) 8)