[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Slam firing SKS

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slam firing SKS
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:59 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I had surprise after I first started reloading for my chinese SKS. Let the bolt go home and the round went off. I took the rifle back into to the shed and tried some more brass with just primers in the brass (CCI primers) Bang again and again. I tried another brand -RWS same thing. I took the firing pin out and found no return spring on the firing pin I was told and have read that early originals had a spring. I ground down the hump on the firing pin and and put a spring on.
That was the end of the problem, but I was unhappy with the spring I had to use. Recently I was searching the web and found out that a neighbor of mine developed a firing pin with spring. I was shocked- first that someone else had been making this and second that I had a neighbor only a few miles away who was a gun smith. (we are real rural in this part of the world 18 miles to the post office and only one other store 24 miles in any direction)
The kit had a better springs a new pin and dropped right in.
http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm
It's kinda pricey I though and anyone probably could do the same for ya
Another option is to use harder primers, but I have heard of several more slam fires using military ammo. (hard primers were not an option that I had heard about when this first happened )
I was also told by another individual that a slam fire lead to a cook-off in his chinese sks with store bought steel case ammo but did not witness this.
Any one else have this happen to them? or can verify it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:11 am 
Major
Major

Firing pins in all the Sks's I am familiar with do not have springs. Most slamfires occur because the bolt was not cleaned properly. Those kits are sold as re-assurance to make sure the pin retracts.
A slam fire, or shooting as fast as one can in a semi, can not make a round cook off. Machineguns can, but you would have to fire 500 rounds as fast as you could to even approach cook off temperature. So that story is completely false.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:24 am 
Captain
Captain

Yep, seen that with a Chinese police SKS, at the beach one summer inKotzebue, the fella was unlaoding at the shooting range and it went "Bang" hand cycling it right in his hands, claimed it did it itsself....and if it did, it was a slam fire i'm thinking...and Ive heard of others too, but never a self destruct yet.......never did trust one after that, it nags in my head when I look at them.....

Gotta havehard Military primers, I guess.....I actually see marks on my SVT's ejects when I hand cycled for function. :-?

No worry,I have all steel Czech issued silver tips. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:57 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

1949 and some 1950 tula made sks rifles did have springs on the firing pins. i see the rifles and sometimes the bolts with spring pins on GB sometimes.

y'all have a good day, Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:34 am 
Corporal
Corporal

I have a 1950 russian sks that has the firing pin spring, and I had a slam fire on some handloads. I was using standard CCI primers. It happens so fast that I thought I was imagining it! I got some #34 mil spec primers, but haven't used them yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:11 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I had one slam fire in my SKS. That was when chambering the first round from the mag. The rest of the mag fired normally and after a thorough cleaning never had another. I was using NORINCO steel cased AP ammo.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:55 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:04 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I never did discover why it slam fired. Slam fires have been known to happen when a round is chambered by hand and inserted all the way into the chamber instead of being stripped from the magazine. I don't recall which I did at the time.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:05 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

The only sks's I've got are Yugo.. and they were slathered in cosmo. I found that if you soak the bolt overnight in a jar of lacquer thinner it does a pretty good job of dissolving the cosmoline. That said, never had a slamfire of any kind out of my sks's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:10 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:07 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i was out talking to my freind at DPMS midweek , he handed me a story about a fellow having slam fire problem with his AR on a wisconsin range [the rifle belonged to someone else-not present at the time] the issue was raised and the owner was charged with possesion of an illeagle machine gun , its getting completely out of hand when the owner is charged when he was not even present and it was a leagal firearm that simply malfunctioned ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:15 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.