[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - SKS question

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SKS question
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:26 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Here is the question for the year!!

Say if I was in the market for a Chinese SKS what would I look for as in collectability? I prefer stamped matching number rifles and always lean towards a military issue rifle not one of the ones imported as sporters or-Well I hope you know what I mean. I have a Russian one that is as mentioned above with a refurb square so I feel that is a true military issue rifle but what about the Chinese ones?

Thanks folks!!!

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:54 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

What about a chromed out chinese honour guard one? This one is a factory 26. I thought it was a bubba job when I got it but when I checked the butt trap the cleaning kit was still covered inside & out with cosmo & it was chromed too. I think it cam in to the country all pimped out :lol

And the bottom one is an Alabanian

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:07 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Well at least it's pretty in a shiny chromed out way :-o :-o

It looks like the Albanians had some extra wood sitting around!

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:50 pm 
Major
Major

As most know, The Yugoslavian, Russian, Albanian SKS's were all declared to be C&R. The Chinese counterparts never were. (The 50 yr old rule still applies).The Chinese started making SKS's circa '47 as I recall and those guns were prohibited from import. The Vietnam bringbacks are rare and collectable. When they allowed importation for a few years,many many came in, but most, not all were commercial issue and 70-80's made. Then importation was stopped. Your task is to study the serial number ranges, and hunt for those earlier guns that would meet that criteria. It would be a rather small window. This does not seem to be a hot area for collectors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:26 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I have found a Chinese SKS the the seller has had in his collection for 30 years. He states he bought it from the Vet who brought it back from Vietnam. It has no import marks and has a look of slightly used. Here is a photo of the serial markings. I just need to know if its a true military issue compared to the commercial ones that are around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:00 am 
Major
Major

Is that a factory '26' code? I believe that was military, but the serial number seems so high. Looks like 7 digits from the photo. Here is a photo of mine, I stained the stock black. It is a 6 digit serial and a '146' factory. It has an import stamp, and I think this one is commercial. They did a great job on the serial, restamped right over their error.

Last edited by M14man on Sat May 03, 2008 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:34 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Don

Thats a point I forgot. The seller said that it is a screwed in barrel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:33 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I think the factory 26 was military production.

Jump on that one Mark, providing the price is right. Does he have the
bring back paperwork with it?

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:38 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

There were other military factories - I have a factory 916 that is a combat vet. Pretty rough on the outside but shoots well with Yugo brass case ammo - not so well whth chink steel case stuff. SW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:32 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I'll ask about the papers. The lack of import marks is a plus for me. I have told him that I owe someone else money first so we will see what he says.

Hmm who do I owe money to some here at this board :-? :-?

Bruce (m1) and Jon (ammo)!!

I have some cats I can send your way for payment :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:29 pm 
Major
Major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:14 pm 
Major
Major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:29 am 
Corporal
Corporal

This sight will help you find when it was made or any other info.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=10830.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:20 am 
Colonel
Colonel