[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Plastic Casing .223s?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plastic Casing .223s?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:28 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Been finding .223 shells out at the range that have plastic casings. Anybody heard of this? I don't personally like the sound of it, but I keep finding them.

Waddya know bout this?

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:33 am 
Major
Major

Theyve been out several years. Though I have never tried it, I have not heard a whole lot of good about them. If they were good, you would see more of it. In that they have been out for years, the lack of them is an indication to their performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:29 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

You'd think they'd be terrible... melting and whatnot *lol*

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:42 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I and a friend have fired hundreds of these from my 2 AR's, his 2 AR's and a mini 14 in slow fire and rapid fire with not a single problem. I'm old fashioned and still like the full brass but there has been nothing wrong with the 223 plastic ammo.

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:38 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Is it any cheaper? Who makes it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:31 pm 
Major
Major

Old Thor ain't got nothing on me.

Gungrubber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:32 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:45 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Ugly plastic guns and now plastic ammo. ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH! :-x :ak: :cry:

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:33 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

The name of the company that makes the ammo is Natec and around here it sells for 2.99 for a box of 20. I asked a friend who has the new Sig 556 and he shoots the ammo with no problems and his accuracy is the same as other factory std load 223.

http://www.natec-us.com/

It maybe the ways things are heading as component prices go up?!

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:47 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Hmmm, just doesn't seem safe. But thats about $75.00 for 500.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:00 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I have a box of .38 spl. rounds I bought years ago. Plastic cases and the bullets just pop in and out. I don't remember the maker off hand and never fired any. Kept them just because of the novelty.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:01 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:28 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

never seen them here - but they sound like something that was a test , experiment , idea gone wrong - brass has class ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:49 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I now see them at the range quite often (on the police side) my department does not use them but we share the range with 3-4 other departments. A few days ago I collected about 800 rounds of Remington and Winchester 223 brass and I had to sift through a lot of plastic cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:58 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

are these suposed to be some new tactical advantage-weight , waterproof , more than cost ? im getting that there is a LEO connection ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:29 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I'm not sure if its just a test of different options in the world of ammo and brass issues? I have not had any problems with the ammo, it just feels odd shooting the stuff but it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:22 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Haven't shot any of it yet, heck I haven't found any of it for sale yet, but it just gives me the creeps either way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:41 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:45 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

That's just recrimping the plastic, in order to get that to work for rifle shells you'd almost have to heat it back up, I'd think that might weaken the plastic and you'd get a ruptured casing upon ignition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:07 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

if someone finds this anywhere id be interested in looking at it - not sure id buy it but it is interesting , in this day and age of plastic it doesnt scare me but i will admit to skepticism as to its reliability and function , my rifles are very aggressive in handling the ammo [im sure yours are too] it seems it would need to be a durrable cartrige --im looking forward to handling some of this