[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - SKS at Big 5

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SKS at Big 5
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:01 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Anyone know anything about the SKS's that are currently being advertised at Big 5 sporting goods stores.

I'm out of town and haven't had a chance to take a look see. But given the stores in California are selling them - I'm wondering where they are coming from. I doubt they are Yugos because the grenade launcher wouldn't fly in California. Unless it were removed maybe.

They are apparently being sold for $349. From what I've seen at Big 5 in the past you can find a steaming piece of junk or a gem - all at the same price. I think they get all their milsurps from CAI.

Anyone picked up an SKS from Big 5, or seen one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:13 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:45 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:31 pm 
Major
Major

Probably the condition of each one is different. They have to be Yugo's they are the only ones that can be gotton en masse. $350??? Wow, I bought 4 as un-issued, left 2 in the cosmoline, cleaned one up, but left it unfired; and I use one. I bought them for $149 each.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:47 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yeah but how long ago? Try to find any "Unissued" ones now. And Excellent grades are fetching well over 2 bills

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:05 pm 
Major
Major

Would you believe Aug 2006 and my records show they were $129 when purchased in a lot of 5 which I did. A friend got one, I kept 4. Back then I was telling everyone, get them now...there will come a time.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:22 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....omigawd... :-o :-o :-o ....I had one I got in excellent condition from AIM a few years back for $99....!!!....sold it for $175 to finance 'other' more 'spensive toys..... :-o :-? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:01 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

That's the thing about milsurps.....you have to "ride the wave" while they are cheap. I still have a few Finn M91's that were $40 each. & my Rusky SKS's were $80 each. Chinese ones were $60 each

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:10 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Well - I'll be flying home tomorrow so will be able to go in and check in a couple days. And that's interesting info about drilling holes into the grenade launcher. I should be able to see if that is what they have done. I'll try to take a couple pics too.

I think the economics work differently in Kalifornia for the SKSs, since most of them are illegal there, and that is why the price may be higher. I've seen SKS's at recent gun shows for high 300s to mid 400s. I saw one in a gun store for almost $600.

So since most are illegal maybe the ones that aren't are more scarce and therefore costlier. Certainly Yugos with intact / operational grenade launchers are illegal. Too many ridiculous gun laws in Kalifonia - look at this link from the CA state dept of justice:

Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look and let you know what I find. Big 5 surely is selling these in a legal way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:51 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:17 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:24 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:01 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:20 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I'm back home now and will stop in the one of the local Big 5's and take some pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:02 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Ok, so I visited a local Big 5 in Orange County, CA. The SKS they have there is definitely a Yugo, with CAI import mark that lists Serbia.

To make it Cal legal they have removed the grenade launcher and replaced it with a very utilitarian muzzle break or flash suppressor device. Its just a metal cylinder with some holes in it. No rings / ridges at all - so the grenade launcher has simply been replaced.

I hauled out my camera to take some pictures - but the guy kinda freaked out and wouldn't let me take any pictures.

The Serial # of the one I was looking at was L-464908. It was all matching, including the stock. The gun looked completely unused and basically brand new - so I would say it was probably unissued. Finish on the metal seemed perfect and the stock was pristine with no marks on it, except the matching serial.

Price - the $349 I first mentioned was apparently a sale price. The sale has expired and now they are asking $399.

So what do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

OUCH!

Shop around I bet you can find one cheaper. I think Century had pinned on their new muzzle device for CA law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:14 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Up north a bit further they have not able to keep them in stock. Mine has an Enfield I'm watching to see if it goes on sale. Right now it's 259 but I have seen the sale prices on them as low as 179. This is the first one I have seen in a long time that is matching without the bill board import markings. And yes the flash thingy's are supposed to be pinned or welded on, but who knows!

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:21 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

For $400 pass on it. Thats steep.

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.