[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - going to build a 308 AR

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: going to build a 308 AR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:42 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im not spendin money on anything else till i get this done ,

ive ordered my lower a while back , im looking into parts kits i will need to do it right ,
ive arranged to be part of a 'special' armorers school this winter to learn to do the build right and learn to trouble shoot the AR in general , im gonna have help - but im gonna put this together from scratch ,

im looking to put together a long range - reach out and touch someone rifle , im then gonna learn to load for it so i can maximise the results , i have found some 'right' people to get me educated , now ive got to learn it - my winters quest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:34 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

No school needed for putting together an AR. 8-)

All you need is the wrench. Don't even really need the action block

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:24 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ahha - im aware its simple to assemble , ive done some of that , and i have access to the tools including the block ,

im talking tuned build , my freind at DPMS runs armorer schools for LE all over the country , hes got four of us here that are going to do one of these for the same purpose , when done the equipment will be as close as it can get - then it will just be this opperators fault ,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:53 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Fill us in on any tips you pick up :bigrin:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:45 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yeah, I'd love to hear what you're learning. Amazing opportunity you got into!

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:24 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

true --- but im also on the short leashe till the weddings paid for ,

im getting the lower because it was ordered a while back , im getting to do the armorer class because i got freinds in the buisness , but im not getting to spend any money for quite a while :(

i will complete this rifle if it kills me - i think i need to live quite a while tho ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:54 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Hope your lower gets here faster than mine......Mine was ordered from Armalite in April :( Everyone else got theirs but mine hasn't

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:31 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

OK , so i got a freind or two - i "found the upper" its 24" bull bbl , free float composite tube , and complete with charging handle and bolt/carrier ,

man when your used to 223/556x45 these 308 s are really large ,

for now i stuck the leupold on it , i think im OK with this , ive gotta get it finished and decide if i need something bigger - might ave to swap back for the leatherwood or look at something new ,

but that might lead to another rifle , not sure thats a good direction to go for someone whos broke - im into defecit spending here big time ,

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:50 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Looks like she's gonna be a wicked mean plinker. :twisted:

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:16 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

pete , my lower is not in hand but i can have it when im ready , its down the road in a safe , im holding off till we get all the other bits found and we scedule the get together with our group , ;)

i need a little time to accumulate some cash to fund things as what id squireled away wont cover things at this point , but i have potential coming in a bit at a time for this , :)

ill post what happens as it comes about , thinking this is going to be a cold weather project for the first quarter of 09 :lol , all of the quarter and perhaps more , :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:53 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i have dug out some extra bits like a harris bipod thats been collecting dust - i hope its stable enough for my purposes or ill have to sell it and upgrade to one of those really sturdy ones , and a fancy grip that will be a tad bit more comfortable in 308 than the standard one that is installed on the 556/223s ,

im going to install a standard A2 style buttstock , it offers a nice clean cheek weld , i hope that the leupold offers the compatibility with that im looking for , i beleive it does , ive looked at some adjustables that will be the fall back mode if im needing it ,

im planning to use the 10 round 308 mag i have because this is not intended to be a hi-cap rifle , i want it to be a reach-out-and-touch-someone type rifle , one shot/one kill type accuracy , i may pick up a 20 rounder for S&G but i doubt ill ever use it ,

im not looking to make something fancy as much as a great shooter that will put all my rounds in a very tight place if i do my part , i dont know why i need this , i have some very nice shooting rifles , i just know i want to do this ,

next thing im going to investigate is the 'trigger' im thinking "JP" because those here swear by them , i have a DPMS freind who has a 308 with a JP , ill get to shoot his before i buy one , any recomendations ?

this will be one heavy rifle - i think this upper with its 24" stainless bull bbl is as heavy as my AP4 carbine and maybe as heavy as my 20" standard rifle .......without the lower

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:50 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

OK , shes done - i decided to swap the leupold for the leatherwood - i like the added magnification for the long range i intend this for , a friend has one he is shooting at a 600yd range - im going to give this a try , before i die :-?

heres the finished product , she is heavy , ill let you know how she shoots ,

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:13 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Shweeeeeeeeet!

Range reports to follow?

When/If I get my 20" flat top out to the range I'll chime in as well.

I am also very curious to see how the Leatherwood does on that platform.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ET , i think it should perform very well , i got the eye relief without any effort and it seems to like the long rail top of the 308 reciever , i needed a riser for it on the SA M1A and that required added cheek padding ,

the manual indicated it was set up for caliber range of 308-338ultra mag , with trajectory correction range of 300-1200 meters , the long range that my friend shoots at weekly is a 600yd , hes working up to a shoot at the 1000yd end of summer event , i doubt i can get that good but i might try ,

the scope seems perfect for the purpose because it allows me to adjust for my bad eyes and works comfortably with this rifle platform and my frame , im hoping the low recoil design and durable construction of the scope give me an edge on the bench ,