[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - S&W .38 ... sights

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: S&W .38 ... sights
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:30 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

My old S&W .38 revolver has a fixed front sight and a groove for a back sight ... so no adjustment unless I file the front sight, which I don't want to as it is untouched now.
But it shoots about 10" low at 25 yds, and about 3" to the right. The horizontal I can live with, but if I hold 10" high I can't see the target and am just guessing.

If I can't (won't) lower the front sight, is there some aftermarket back sight that I can clamp on, that won't mar the finish? And there really isn't a lot of meat to fasten it to ... especially without drilling

I don't really want some kind of big blocky red dot style. I'd like to keep it looking kinda like a British Army revolver

Post subject: Re: S&W .38 ... sights
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:15 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

"... I'd like to keep it looking kinda like a British Army revolver..."

is it a british revolver ? if so they were calibrated to a heavier bullet than our current 38S&Wctg , a heavier bullet would most likely solve your problem ,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:01 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Yeah. I was rethinking this after I posted. I think I was getting much better results last summer (still no great shakes but much better than 40 sq. inches off point of aim.) Would cold weather effect ballistics? That much?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

yes , weather too ,

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:11 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Got an indoor range to visit to confirm that? I know HVARGET powder for rifles is temperature resistant for such reasons as yours has. I do not know of a temperature resistant powder for pistols though.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:51 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:18 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Just happened to find a target from last October. The 'grouping' was better, but I didn't note where I was aiming (five targets on one paper) so it doesn't show how far off poa they were.

Went out again today (even colder), kept the rounds in my pocket until I loaded them, and made sure I was resting the barrel on a support, rather than just supporting my hands. Again, 'grouping' :oops: was better but definitely low and left.

I think I'll wait til spring to get a better idea of how far off poa it goes before I try any mods for the sights. I saw a picture of a different but similar model that had a rear sight mounted on a leaf that allowed for adjustment. I may be able to cobble together something similar if I can figure how to attach it securely without drilling any holes.

OK. Not the pic I was referring to. I can't find that one again, but the leaf appears to slide into a slot on the top of the frame and is anchored by a small bolt just near the front of the topstrap. The 'slot' on mine is just a round bottomed groove and no bolt hole.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:07 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I hesitated to respond to this thread since it is about 8 years old. But might as well. I picked up a 38S&W Victory Model about a year ago, after I'd acquired a set of 38S&W dies. At first I loaded some 150 grain wad cutters and tried them along with some 160 grain SWC's. Bad experiment as they all shot at the bottom of the target or just below the bottom at 15 yards. Got ahold of Matt's Bulllets and got some of their MK1 200 grain, and suddenly it was hitting at or just above the point of aim. The Victory Model was regulated for 200 grain bullets at 20 yards; so not surprising it shot a tad to point of aim or just about point of aim.

Attachments:
S&W38 right side - mod.jpg
S&W38 right side - mod.jpg [ 171.21 KiB | Viewed 1876 times ]
38S&W 200 gr and 38Sp 2nd mod.jpg
38S&W 200 gr and 38Sp 2nd mod.jpg [ 68.11 KiB | Viewed 1877 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:37 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

There used to be an adjustable rear S&W sight that attached to the top sideplate screw on old Smiths. Just about every gun mag back then advertised them - along with Tyler grip adapters and 1917 Enfield cock on open bolt kits.

They're no longer made but would be something to watch for in gun show junk boxes. SW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:50 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Since my 380 200 Victory model shoots pretty much to point of aim with those big old 200 grain lead bullets zipping along at 650 fps; that's good enough for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

that is what the british spec called for - they bought a lot of pre-victory and early victory on lend lease program , i once had a lot of loaded 200 hrains for my british[and us] revolvers but i sold most of the revolvers off , i just adjust with hold for the lighter bullets i shoot for cowboy action these days when i shoot them ,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:11 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Attachments:
Victory target-mod.jpg
Victory target-mod.jpg [ 147.34 KiB | Viewed 1842 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:05 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i get that - i have both victory models and have set up for 38spcl but have not set up my dies for the 38s&w yet , molding bullets would be another cost ive not jumped into yet - i have quite a few for both so i could go a while but still ....

i did pick up a second vicory in 38s&w that has been shortened to 2" and nickel plated , its not sot anymore than any of my others so ill not be jumping to molds just yet ,