[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Smith & Wesson Model 1917

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:34 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

I had acquired a S&W 1917 a few months ago. The cylinder had a severe spinning problem. The good shooters at Schutzenfest had a look and the consensus was a worn/bad cylinder stop. Placed an order to Numrich for a new cylinder stop and something told me to also get a new cylinder stop spring. The care package arrived and I went work. It turns out there wasn't anything wrong with the cylinder stop. The spring however was a disaster. It was over 1/16 inch too short. Installed the new spring and happiness is mine. The revolver now functions perfectly and just needs me to take it out the the range for some serious fun. :grin:

"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:11 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

:ttiwwp: :rotflma:

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

cool - nothing quite so fun as these big handguns , and accurate too ...

for mario - S&W M1917 , with a colt 1911

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:12 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Herr Mario,

I refer you to my Enfield post. When it comes to posting pictures anywhere, I am the very model of a modern Luddite.
In any event, if I can citizen Swihart to help, I will get some pictures of the spring in question. The difference in length is quite dramatic.

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:25 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...Luddite-ism is better than bein anal... :rotflma: ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:04 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

A new chapter for my M1917. The single action trigger pull could be measured in grains not pounds. Since this is not a good thing, I took said revolver to a gunsmith. He checked it out and said there was a severe pushoff problem along with the trigger pull. The estimate to repair was about a month. That was 8 days ago. Sometimes we do get a break. :grin: He has called me to report the pushoff problem has been cured. The trigger pull is now about 2.5 pounds! :D All this and he didn't have to order any parts. I'm a happy camper except that I'm out of town and won't be able to retrieve my toy untill Monday. I'm pretty certain there will be serious range time involved this monday. :jmp:

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:45 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Bummer dude! :-( :-( The gunsmith had Monday off. :-? He will be back for Tuesday when I will pick my toy up and have a seriously good time blowing holes in pieces of paper. It's an indoor range after all. I just finished reloading another 50 rounds so I might just have enough ammo for a days fun. :grin:
There might even be pictures of perforated paper.

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:30 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

File comment: The blue background are the last 6 shots!
DSCN0176.JPG
DSCN0176.JPG [ 122.51 KiB | Viewed 9902 times ]
Got my M1917 back. :jmp: Put 72 round through the tube.
I currently have a large grin that I don't intend to remove for a few hours-days. :grin: :grin:

To all, The inability to post pictures seems to no longer be part of my Luddite status. Not to worry, there are plenty of other tech type things I don't want to master. :bigrin:

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:28 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....thats the kind of perforated paper I like to see... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:35 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Fortunately, you didn't see that other 'getting used to new trigger pull' paper. Quite a dismal effort on my part. But then again, this is why we practice, practice, practice! :bigrin:

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:59 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

You used my spare Mosin bayonet to poke those holes, didn't you? Any gun toting 12 year old with a M-44 Mosin carbine could do that in a heartbeat. Sure you put those holes in the paper with actual bullets. I believe you, sure I do.

Next he will tell you stories about his cool hat, leather coat and whip skills.

Any and all stories about this can be verified by the Russian press.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:18 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Citizen,

You know better. I DON"T do mosin! I do have a very nice Japanese bayonet and a stellar Australian model on hand though.
I really should have checked out the double action pull today but couldn't tear myself away from the glory of the new single action. If we go out to the outdoor range this weekend, maybe I can try double action just to see if it works. :Dbounce: I do have a burning need to shoot my Krag and make lots of smoke with the trapdoor. So many guns and so little time to give them the attention they deserve. I'll just have to sacrifice myself to their needs and neglect my own.

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:59 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Do remember to wash before going to the range. Stinky shooters are bad shooters.

Awaiting Browning, still waiting.

Remember, using a knife bayonet does not make round holes.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:16 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Citizen,

It's all about trigger control and Practice, Practice, Practice! :grin: Unless of course you're the Zoomie and it only takes 2-3 rounds to get on target and then go ahead and put everything away. :roll:
Is you is or is you isn't still on for range time this Saturday afternoon? I'm bring toys in abundance. Dick Lemaster called me with a proposal that has merit and I think Barton and Bryan should be included. Need to do something after what that range up north did to Schutzenfest.
I have new loads for the Webley MK I that need to be tried out, so it's making the trip as well.

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:05 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

so ...did you get your spring question answered and did it work out well ? i hope so , i would hate to see one of these old revolvers lost to the lack of interest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:44 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

A Square 10,

The spring problem is fully resolved. I managed to fix that one with a little help from the video by Larry Potterfield of Midway. I can highly recommend his video on how to maintain and service Smith & Wesson revolvers. Very informative and full of tips, hints and how to do it.
I did replace the trigger rebound spring. The military spring delivers a brutal double action trigger pull. A good friend who has carps; tunnel problems could barley pull it. I installed a 12 pound spring and need to try it out. My session at the range was all single action.
This old war horse will most definitely not be put on a shelf to be looked at with no range time. :D

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:07 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

my experience has been one of greatest accuracy and the pure weight of these makes the recoil very acceptable