Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I just learned.....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:19 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

...that my S&W M19-2 has been factory refinished. According to the SN it was made in 1965 and I purchased it in 1982. It was my duty weapon while I was a reserve officer at a nearby small town. It was stolen from me (along with others) in 1987 and returned to me in 1990 after being held by the ATF for over a year. It has a very deep polished blue finish and I had always wondered it it had been re-blued, but the stampings are very crisp and edges still sharp so I did not think much of it. It is probably the most accurate revolver I own.

Yesterday I was looking through one of my collectors volumes on S&W and reading the section on factory refinishing. It gave several codes that would be stamped on the cylinder and on the grip frame. I brought it out and started checking. Sure enough, there were the small stamps on the cylinder face. Took off the grips and there were more marks indicating factory refinish along with what appears to be the date of 1979.

Makes me wonder what the original history of this revolver is. Was it a Police turn in that was refurbished? It does not matter to me since this is still my favorite .357.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject: Re: I just learned.....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:26 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Very nice looking S&W. I had been told they would work on one of their products but had never heard from any one who had that experience.

"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:50 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i really miss mine , it was a dan wesson 19-2 in 357 , that one looks terrific and id be proud of that one too ,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:04 pm 
Major
Major

That is one fine revolver!