[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Colt Police Positive Special that saw police use

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:30 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Not lovely to look at but one that would be interesting if it could talk. Colt Police Positive Special, in .38 special. Serial number 118xxx puts her in 1915 production. These are fairly common handguns in the US, very popular as police issue handguns. What is interesting with this one is the stocks. They are aluminum and painted black. Stamped on the bottom CPD. When I bought this many years ago I was told it was Cincinnati Ohio police issue but I can find no other information or comments on stocks like these being used by the Cincinnati police. However they were clearly used by some police department, the number of cities in Ohio alone big enough to go to such trouble would include Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland. Could even be Chicago Illinois for that matter... Somewhat oversize they fit my hand quite well and were clearly designed so that the butt of the gun could also be used as a club. It shoots well and despite being 99 years old, shoots very accurately and can clearly go right on serving, though I would not use anything other than standard velocity loads in her.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:44 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

The old Colts were made by actual craftsmen and most are very slick. Also accurate! SW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

very nice , it looks like its in really good shape , i think you did real well , congrats

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:09 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Very nice indeed. Well done sir!

"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:28 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I just bought one in 38S&W made in 1934. Bluing is poor, but the bore is good and she locks up tight. That's good enough for me.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:35 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i bought one a few years back as well , also in 38 s&w , mine is a 1929 , one of the prohibition/bootleggin era police guns

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:54 am 
The Knife
The Knife

You all can have your 38s mine is in 22lr. I think it was made about 1927.

DSC00808.JPG
DSC00808.JPG [ 349.86 KiB | Viewed 8980 times ]

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:17 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

6" barrels…I feel so inadequate with only 4". I got this to use the 38S&W brass and dies used to shoot my No2 MkI** Enfield "tankers" Revolver. Nothing beats a hard pull only in double action with your hammer spur left off.

The 22lr ones are nice, pricey but nice.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:13 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...dont feel 'inadequate'....its not the length that matters-its how straight you can shoot.... :rotflma:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:22 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

A hell of a lot straighter than my 9mm semi-autos…….

Weather here is darn awful lately. Must await USPS to deliver MO to seller and await the shipment of pistol to my dealer. Something to look forward to besides the cold.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i want her messers , thats what i really love 22s

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:41 am 
The Knife
The Knife

A square what would you give me for it. I'm needing some cash for a project I'm working on. I have no idea what it is worth.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:00 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ill PM you with some kind of starting point ,