Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:39 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Hello all. I just purchased a Pietta 1860 Navy. Im looking around the net for what to get to take it out shooting. Cabelas has a little starter kit but Im looking for something a little more extensive. Im trying to put together a list of what I need. Powder or Pellets, Caps, powder measurer, What kind? Where do you all get your black powder gear? Thanks, I appreciate it. Eli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:31 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

When buying percussion caps, be sure to get magnum - the lower power variety could lead to misfires.

A cheep cake frosting applicator - look at garage sales for this @ 25 cents or so - will make greasing the cylinders easier. You can get quite an argument going about the best grease. Crisco works - some folks including me prefer water pump grease or high temp grease with lithium.

For measuring out the powder, the Lee dipper kit is great & it's also useful for other reloading jobs. For rifles, I pre-measure powder into old pill bottles & dump that into the rifle using a small funnel I grabbed at a garage sale for a fast nickel.

I get the bulk of my supplies from Grafs since they have a good shipping deal.

Another item that makes loading easier is the in line capper. You won't drop too many caps using one of these. SW

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:48 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Thank you. That's some great info. That'll be fun to get that stuff. Thats good to know about the magnum primers. What kind of powder do you think I should get?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:08 pm 

I use Triple 7 just because real black is hard to find in the wilds of western Nebr. I use real black to prime my flint locks, of course. A small measure of real black down the barrel & 777 over that.

The "real" black powder guys will scoff at that, but it works for me. I'm not into dressing up in a costume or trying to be all "authentic" - I just like to shoot. SW