[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - New Makarov Book a must have for Mak collectors.

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:02 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

You guys know me and you know my passion for East bloc arms.

I just finished reading The Makarov Pistol, Soviet Union and East
Germany. Volume I and have a few comments on this joint effort by
Henry C. Brown Jr. and Cameron S. White. They truly have produced a
wonderful first volume on Soviet and East German Makarov pistols, I
was impressed with the detail. When they claim its a book written for
Makarov Collectors by Makarov Collectors they certainly live up to
that statement. This tome delivers detailed data collectors have been
desiring since the first of these pistols hit our shores with the fall
of the Soviet Empire. The photos of early production pistols alone
makes this work well worth its asking price. These gentlemen have done
a great job, their passion for these fascinating sidearms is quite
evident.

I had already sampled a bit of Mr. White’s knowledge in a wonderful
piece he wrote on the Chinese Type 59 Makarov for Man At Arms magazine
earlier in 2016, so when he offered me the opportunity to read this
first volume I was delighted and it did not disappoint.

Soviet Bloc arms are a fascinating subject, but due to the nature of
them especially in the post World War II Cold War era, there is a
still a considerable veil of mystery around them and their production.
A lot more time and attention has been given the SKS and Kalashnikov
rifles. The Makarov pistol has been somewhat neglected in comparison
and though others have broached the subject they lacked the detail
collectors hunger for. I am pleased this has been rectified with this
work.

Where they can the authors have gone to great detail on the guns, the
manufacturing of them, markings, evolution of the design,
accoutrements, etc… Where they are not sure of something they make
that clear too. There is even a section on the guns in the Post Soviet
period and pistols made for the civilian market. Photographs are
clear, largely in color and so detailed you can clearly see various
proof marks. You get rare glimpses of training manuals. The wide
variety of holsters issued, cleaning rods, lanyards, ammunition, tools
and gauges. There is even a detailed field strip section at the very
end with clear color photos. Its truly wonderful.

As a gun collector who owns quite a few Makarov pistols made in the
USSR, East Germany, Bulgaria and China, I can tell you this book was a
pleasure to read. Having read volume one, I am very much looking
forward to the next volume which is currently in the works. It will be
on Chinese and Bulgarian pistols. This volume belongs in the library
of every collector of Soviet bloc arms.

A bit more of my biography you may not know.

An officer on the Board of Directors of the Ohio Gun Collectors
Association and long time collector of Soviet bloc firearms. NRA
Patron Member and a long time activist and writer for the Buckeye
Firearms Association.

The book can be found at this link.

http://makarovbook.com

Older shot of my Soviet 1975 production pistol on Fred Datig's book.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:51 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Thanks for the book report!! I'll watch for a copy at a gun show book vendor I know.

Since you collect these, what's the sleeper to watch for? The holy grail of Makarovs? SW

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:59 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

The early Soviet models especially the very earliest with the wings on the trigger guard are extremely scarce. Vietnam bring backs with paperwork.. Early East German Maks from 58 and 59 are also hard to find. 1963 is another low production year for East Germans.

Not covered in this but will be in the next volume is the Chinese Makarovs officially known at the Type 59. The military issue and the ZZ codes are sought.

There is a lot of things to seek in this field.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:22 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

Looks interesting, to say the least.
I sold my Russian Izmash Makarov just a couple weeks ago (Still have it here while the buyer gets his ppwk done). I hardly shoot it and I can use the cash for another buy.
It is an interesting pistol though. Clearly copied on the Walther PP design but a bit larger and heavier (being full steel). The Makarov cartridge is the middle kid between the 380 and the 9mm. The Mak is kindoff a bastard kid itself; too big to be a pocket pistol and too small for a service pistol. And it only got a single-stack magazine ... Nowadays you get a double-stack 9mm or even 45acp in smaller sizes.
But still it's an icon from a (rather intersting) bygone era.
My father in law was issued one during his service in the USSR airforce, but he still prefered the Tokarev. Maybe that's just nostalgia ;-)
BRGDS, A

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:11 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

That was one of the benefits of winning the Cold War, we got the enemies stuff on the cheap. I well remember buying East German, Russian and Bulgarian Makarovs for less than $100 with holster and spare magazines in the early 90s. The SKS too and the ammo was very affordable in those days. Wish I had bought more. Sadly those days are gone but I still have the guns. Learning about them is always interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:46 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

all i have left of mine is the CZ82 mario has mine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:41 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

Yeah, prices keep rising and surplus ammo is drying up.
Let's hope they're gonna clean out a couple warehouses again soon.

;) A

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:39 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:28 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Polish P83 pistols are still out there and pretty affordable, but you know those too will dry up all too soon. Not a bad time to grab one while you can.

My five Soviet PM pistols and five East German Makarovs. I decided not to clutter the shot with holsters, belts, etc...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:19 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

now thats a nice accumulation to be sure , i realize a true mac is not just one that fires the cartridge , but you have to understand i had very little exposure to these really , im a webley fan at heart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:58 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

"im a webley fan at heart" I think we can all agree there is nothing wrong with that. 8-)