Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:31 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

In the 1960s a huge number of WWII era firearms were brought in by various importers in the golden age of mail order firearm sales. Among them were a large number of Webley and Enfield revolvers. At one point one importer, Seaport Traders decided to make the .38/200 Enfield more marketable by having the barrels shortened. In 1960 they sold them for the princely sum of $16.95. The dollar had some real value in those days.

In modifying these revolvers they actually ended up creating a interesting bit of trivia, a link to the Kennedy assassination three years later. The link, the gun smith a Mr. LM Johnson, who shortened the barrels was the same gun smith the importer used to shorten barrels on a number of Smith and Wesson Model 10 revolvers that were also in inventory. One of those guns was used by Lee Harvey Oswald to shoot a police officer in the wake of the shooting of Kennedy in Dealey Plaza.

The gun actually shoots fairly well. The barrel shortening was very professionally done as was the re-crowning of the barrel. The previous owner used this for home defense and even had some hollow point ammo made up for the gun, but at less than 700fps I am not sure how well these slugs would open up.

http://www.nrvoutdoors.com/ENFIELD%20SN ... 20SNUB.htm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:40 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

That looks interesting! Unless the spring has been changed out, I think you would soon get Popeye forearms shooting it DAO, though. I'd like to mess around with one some day.

If you reload, a low velocity round that will expand consistently is a 148 grain hollow base wadcutter loaded hollow side forward. SW

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:18 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Its clearly had a trigger job. I have had a number of Webley and Enfield .38 British revolvers over the years. When I bought it I thought it might not strike hard enough, but it works fine. Neat old beast.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:58 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

always thought i might grab one if i stumbled upon it at the right price , a mkI* might be able to be cocked but the mkI** will not , the DAO is not all that bad on these ,