Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:00 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Found a nice but altered Webley Mark VI last week. A lot of these were ground or shaved down by importers back in the day, to use .45acp ammo, which was more readily available in the 50s and 60s. Even now shootable supplies of .455 Webley can be scarce. Fiocchi among others load it but its not always available.

Anyways the important thing to remember is factory .45acp is way to hot for these guns. At anywhere between 19,000 and 21,000 PSI, it is like shooting a proof load in those old revolvers. The Webley is rated for ammo creating pressures around 13,000 PSI. Being that these are now approaching a century in age it is wiser to load it softer than that. You can use and shoot .45acp safely, if you use downloaded ammo. I had a buddy load some 222 grain lead bullets for me. Velocity was 715 FPS with a pressure of 9,800 PSI.

You can see the results on this old pizza box, shooting it rapid fire at 15 yards. Actually put two through the same hole though the group is nothing to brag about, it certainly would have all been on a man sized target. Not too bad for a 101 year old revolver using ammo it was not chambered for.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:26 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

very nice piece , an equally nice rendition of the cautions and what is correct for these , one really does not need to blow it up just to shoot it , if you load at all its a simple task and if you dont it would be a small investment to start with this one ,

i load "cowboy" rounds for mine at around 650fps , i like the 45AR cases as they headspace as an individual round rather than using the moon clips and rimless cartridges but both work just fine , i have an 1923 enfield version and a 1915 webley version of this revolver , i shoot the same in my older mk V-IV versions but ive not fired the older black powder mk III-II-I versions , im mostly a collector/accumulator of these

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:48 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Age and metallurgy are not our friends where it comes to these classics.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:24 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

agreed , but they are fun are they not ?