Discussion of history's firearms
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rebarrel a Tokarev?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:27 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Got a Tokarev a while back. Sort of like a Volkswagon: so ugly it's cute :D
A fun gun but the recoil of the 7.62X25 round is too much for me. Once all my factory ammo is done I can start playing with load development to find one that works for me. On our range it only has to get out to 25 yards so I don't need a barn burner.

BUT ... I wondered if there was another way to go: rebarrel it to a smaller cartridge. 5.6 x 18 looks like it might be more suitable, except apparently it isn't available. I don't want .22 rimfire (I think I saw something about those barrels being available) but maybe a .22 centerfire? .22 jet? Something with the .22 Hornet as the parent case? Or something in .24 or .26 caliber?

Lots of stuff on the internet about rebarreling to something bigger, or rebarreling a 1911, but nothing about kicking it down a notch.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Hopefully just a barrel change or a barrel and bushing, and maybe a magazine or magazine sleeve. I don't want to get into major mechanical stuff. If there is nothing already out there maybe I can make something from a cut down .223 case as long as the most I'll need is a local gunsmith or machinist to make the barrel and chamber reamer.

Post subject: Re: Rebarrel a Tokarev?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:39 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

32 auto? 380? I never really thought about it - just sold my tokarevs & got a PPS43. SW

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:19 pm 
Major
Major

The head size of the case may be a problem as an extractor slipping on smaller cases and not getting a good grab.
Your better off with a different gun.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:05 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

NebrHogger wrote:
32 auto? 380? I never really thought about it - just sold my tokarevs & got a PPS43. SW

Can't be the .32 auto. That's a prohib. in Canada.

And .380? That's a larger caliber. Is it a softer recoil? 'Cause that might work. I've just been playing with my .38 S&W and the recoil on it is MUCH more manageable. Side note: did you know if you use stained glass lead 'came' without any tin a 158gr mold throws 5gr heavier? 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:14 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

M14man wrote:
The head size of the case may be a problem as an extractor slipping on smaller cases and not getting a good grab.
Your better off with a different gun.

Is that re: the .223 parent case? I think it cycles just fine. That is a guess since I haven't reloaded any yet, just tried manually ejecting empty "Tok-on-.223" cases. There are several you-tubes and other posts about converting .223's to 7.62x25. I haven't read them in any detail so maybe there is something about ejection problems.

The other calibers based on the .22 Hornet would be rimmed, so there might be an issue there. I don't know if there is enough meat in a Hornet to turn down the rim and cut an extractor groove, but that's getting into more effort than I want.

If there are no quick and easy conversions I may just bear with the recoil until the factory rounds are gone and then put the gun away and go back to my Vostok-Margolin .22.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:01 am 
Major
Major

I would think that rebarreling to a 9 mm Luger would be a better option because t here are so many loadings available. I have a Chinese Tokarev that came in 9mm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:46 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

oldernavy wrote:
I would think that rebarreling to a 9 mm Luger would be a better option because t here are so many loadings available. I have a Chinese Tokarev that came in 9mm.

I already have a Star 1911 style 9mm Luger. I was surprised the 7.62x25 seemed to have more kick than the 9. The idea I'm playing with is rebarreling to something with less kick. Just for the fun of it.