[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Colt New Service 455 Eley N.W.M.P

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:09 pm 
Major
Major

I have been working with my local gun shop guy to help him get stuff up on the web. I take pictures and load the stuff up and when it sells I get a %, but currently I have him holding a P38 in exchange. Anyway, I just recently put this one up and thought it was noteworthy and some guys here might like to see it. Its a Colt New Service Revolver in .455 Eley that must have been changed to 45 colt later. The back strap on the gun is stamped N.W.M.P with a issue number that is listed in a reference book I have. The letters stand for North West Mounted Police. This pistol was number 442 out of an order of 700 that were issued. The mounted police firearms seem to be few and far between forsale. I had a Lee Enfield that was a police gun I had bought it and sold it. Kind of wish I had kept it now. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:22 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

That's a nice one! While the price is steep, that's pretty much what they go for anymore. SW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:01 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i had a canadian marked one like that ..........i let it go way too cheaply ,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:12 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Alas, the gun has sold, as the link no longer calls up a specific item.
Too bad they couldn't have kept the pic up, at least, or moved it over to this thread, so that others may view it in the future.
I believe those particular guns date from the early part of WWII.
NWMP were looking at replacing their Webley's, but with the war on, all sidearms were needed for the military, so a deal was struck with Colt to manufacture some New Service revolvers for the NWMP, but chamber them for the (very effective) .455 Webley/Eley round, which they were already using at the time.
New Service is a nice old gun. Simple, effective and as reliable as the sun rise.
It is also known as the Colt Model of 1909 and the Colt Model of 1917.

Dean

Last edited by DeanMk on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:24 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

this guy knows his canadian revolvers & pistols , hes also an active re-enactor that knows his period pieces ,

check this out -
http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsfo ... ver-Family

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:44 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

LOL!
For a minute there, A square, I thought you were referring to me!
:bigrin:

Dean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:56 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

aaaaaaaa , im not sure i wasnt - i do not yet know what you know , i may soon be linking your threads to another inquiry ,

i do know grant and im comfortable referring those that ask to him , he is a very knowledgeable and colorful canadian to be sure , a re-enactor and historian of the areas he collects in , i wish when i was near him a number of years back i might have been able to meet him personally but these days i dont cross the boarder as i did when i was younger , i fish closer to home

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:52 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

No worries.
Yes, that guy does seem to know a thing or 16.
Thanks for posting that.

Dean

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

no problem , i think we have much to learn from you , i learn in all of these exchanges , its why i come here ,

do tell us about your interests and what you collect , i take it you like the S&Ws and i suspect your into some others but we need a little feedback to know where your interests lie ,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:20 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:09 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

.....art... :-o .....yyyyessss...!!!....another art lover...??? :grin: :grin: :grin:

....dang-we sure are an eclectic bunch-eh??? :rotflma: ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:46 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mario,

Right on.
Here's the one I started with....

10 years ago, I was just looking for a little something to spruce up my apartment.
Once I saw it hanging on the wall, it was like potatoe chips...ya' can't have just one.
:wink:

Dean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:49 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Apologies to the board.
I didn't mean to skew the thread.

Mario,

If you wanna chat more, PM me.

Dean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:06 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:26 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...dont sweat it Dean...you have my permission... :rotflma: ....besides it all ties together in the end......and actually I create more artwork than I buy...the kind of art I'd like to have on my walls is usually found in museums... :lol ;)

...ps...very nice piece...has all the elements....whodunnit???.......and I'll get back to you later this week/weekend when I have more time... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:36 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Oh, well if you guys don't care, then what the hey....anyway, I think the original question got answered?...right?

Mario,

Very cool. I create art, too - through photography, although I'm not nearly as active a shutterbug as I once was (would help if I had my own camera again :bigrin: ).
The piece I posted is called "Elegy for a Dead Admiral" and is now a pretty well known piece.
It was drawn by a gentleman named Jack Vettriano.
10 years ago, no one knew who he was and few had seen the piece.
Nowadays, he's farily well known and the piece is quite common.

Dean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

no worries on where the threads gone , the info was addressed , we here tend to get way more from some of our exchanges than you might elsewhere , and that goes back to that 'learning' comment i made a bit back , glad you have joined us ,