[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Smith and Wesson Early Victory Model

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:15 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Early Victory model, just before they went over to the V serial block... Australian proofs... matching, import mark, FTR.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - King Leonidas I of Sparta

Visit "Smokeless Powder", my firearms and 2nd Amendment blog: http://fingolfen.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:18 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Looks nice.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:07 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

its in 38S&W correct ? you will enjoy that , nice grab

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:55 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - King Leonidas I of Sparta

Visit "Smokeless Powder", my firearms and 2nd Amendment blog: http://fingolfen.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:48 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I always found it odd that the Victory (and the Enfield Mk.1) were chambered in .38 S&W and loaded with the 200 graiin bullet (.38/200, as the Brits called it), yet in later years, its the .38 Special that features the load with the 200 grain bullet.
I wonder when the change took place?

Nice ol' gun, though. I wish I had one.

Dean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:57 pm 
LCDR
LCDR

Sure is a nice revolver. :D

Image Image [img]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Seller ... ser=956475

http://stores.ebay.com/workenladyo8?_rdc=1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:08 pm 
Major
Major

I want one ! I want one!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:47 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

the change is not so much a change - these were in production , just got adopted to the needs of the country that intended to employ them ,

those made in 38s&w - actually the brit caliber went there ,

its the one at position two up from the bottom , lend lease version , contracted by the brits to smith and wesson before we actually entered the fray ,

those made to be issued to our air crews mostly , lots of fighter pilots wore them , were 38spcl ,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:06 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

A Square,

I was actually asking about the round, not the gun.

Dean

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:42 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i knew that - its the early S&W in 38s&w that the brits used - early contracts , late 30s early 40s , but these were 200 grain bullet of the brit contracts , the current 38s&w are not so heavy

its when the US government , wrote our contracts that the 38spcl was required in 42 on ,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:08 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:11 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im sorry -

the brit contracts with S&W were for revolvers that were compatible with their 'standard' ammo the 380-200 grain they used in their enfield/webley no2 revolvers , the ones in my case mounted above the S&W pre-victory , its chambered for the s&w 38 cartridge , very similar to the eley 380-200 just a lighter bullet ,

when the US contracted with S&W , we wanted the standard american round - 38spcl cartridge , thus the one in the bin , a victory model , is in 38 special , same guns just a different bore diameter and chambered for a different cartridge ,

my brit contract revolver is near identical the US version except for the round they chamber , the 38S&W is short and a tad larger around , the 38 special is what we all grew up with and same as a 357 except you do not want to confuse these when shooting these old revolvers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:18 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

A Square,

Ah, I get it now.
Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.
I never knew the Victory model was offered in two different chamberings.
Always loved the model 10 with a 5" barrel. My favourite configuration.

Dean

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:22 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

howdy in the book " With British Snipers to the Reich " by Capt. C. Shore he metions carrying 200 gr Western Lubaloy ammo in his revolver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

one further clarrification that is really semantics when you get to this minutia ....

the revolvers sold the brits were "pre-victory" S&W revolvers that were commercial versions in the 38S&Wcal of the day , this was before we entered the war , i think S&W called them a model 10 ? they needed revolvers badly and the cartrige was similar/same ,

the "VICTORY" revolvers were actually produced for a US contract , thus they added the "V" prefix to the serial number , it used the 'newer' cartrige development of the 38spcl that police forces were want to specify for many years ,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:19 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

A Square,

I might be a bit off on this, but its my understanding that S&W changed their model designations just after the war.
The "Military & Police" revolver became the model 10 and its many varients.
I never knew the Brit L/L revolvers were "pre-Victory" models. I had assumed that's how the "Victory" version got started.
Thanks for further clarifying the model differences.

Dean