Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:08 pm 
PFC
PFC

Hi , I have a odd flap holster marked USAf , can someone tell me
more about the holster , what pistol/ revolver was carried in it ??
heres a picture , any ideas ???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:58 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

this one i cant help with but im very interested in what it is as well , i think it to be post VN - cold war vintage tho , but i could easily be wrong on that

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:21 pm 
PFC
PFC

howdy square 10 , this is the second holster I have seen like this , this one is made in yonkers, ny by service ??and the other was by western , all the other were inch snubby .38's, but oddly only for the more commen 4 inch .38 , great holster , I wear when I moe the lawn, rojo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:33 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

for the airlite ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:53 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

The airforce and Airpolice especially seemed to like the .38 Smith & Wesson revolvers.
Besides the Model 13 plenty of WW2 era M&P Model 10 were still in inventory for many years, probably still are.

The .38 wasn't likely to do much if any damage to military aircraft should a gunfight be necessary on an airfield. One reason the Airforce first bought the original AR-15 rifles was because the .223 couldn't damage exposed landing gear or penetrate to vital systems of an aircraft.

Also the heavy 1911 beat the crap out of aircrew when their chutes opened. The airweight snubbies were designed to cut down on broken ribs from the built in shoulder holsters of survival vests slamming the airman in the side when the chute opened.

I had an early airweight, which I sold when the chambers began to swell with hot loads.
I didn't realize it at the time but mine was one of those that missed the recall and still had an aluminum cylinder. It weighed next to nothing and recoil was like catching a line drive without a mit.
Its best to use only light wadcutter loads in those, and definitely avoid Plus P loads.

Does the flap of the holster swing forwards?