[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Value?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Value?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:56 pm 
Major
Major

What would be the value of a S&W Mdl 25. That is a 6" barrelled blue gun in .45 Long Colt? Gun is about 95%. Oversize, non factory wood grips. This ain't no small gun by any means. If I recall it had something like model 1955 on the right side of the barrel.
I know it isn't cheap, my estimate was about $500. Was I far off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:33 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I think that the M25, 1955 Target was in .45ACP. The M25-3, M25-4 and M25-5 Were all in .45 Colt.
25-3....125th Anniversary Commemorative
25-4....125th Delux Comm
25-5....45 Colt Standard model target

I have had two of the 25-5s , now only one.

They are a very big gun with the 6" barrell and target grips.
But thats why I like it!
The biggest problems are the oversize chamber throats that cut down on
accuracy.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

Last edited by tenboremag on Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:42 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

A local gunshop is going out of business in my city and they are selling a new Model 25 S&W in .45 Colt, with a 6.5" barrel for $720

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:50 pm 
Major
Major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:04 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

It may very well be in .45 Colt. After looking at my copy of the "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson", The early production was marked, .45 CAL. MODEL 1955 but it is vague on whether both the ACP and Colt cartridges were marked the same. Later production was marked .45 Colt CTG.

The Model 25 was discontinued in 1991 and reintroduced in 2001 as the 25-10 with the new frame mounted firing pin.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:42 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Production of this revolver started in 1955, and that's where it gets that "Model of 1955" marking. Most of the early ones were in .45 ACP as that was popular for many years for revolver target shooting. During this time, Smith & Wesson would make this model to order in .45 Colt.

Starting around 1978, .45 Colt was started as a production caliber and this revolver was called the Model 25-5. It did not say "Model of 1955" on the right side of the barrel. These will say ".45 Colt Ctg." The .45 ACP revolver was continued as the Model 25-2 and these still said "Model of 1955" on them. Both were discontinued around 1991.

While not a fail safe method, early Model 25's usually had 6 1/2 inch barrels, not 6 inch as later ones.

The reason I wanted to chime in here at such a late time on this thread was about the chamber throat sizes that another member mentioned. This was a problem with the early Model 25-5's in the .45 Colt caliber when this became a regular caliber in the S&W catalogue around 1978. The over-sized throats caused accuracy to be wanting. Word got back to S&W and they fixed the problem after a couple of years. Starting around 1980 or 81, they fixed the problem. Smith & Wesson collectors are often looking for the "pinned barrel" feature. With the Model 25-5, you want to look for the NON pinned barrel, because it was likely made after the problem with chamber throats got fixed and will be a better shooter than the pinned barrel. This is because the throat problem in 25-5's (coincedentally) went away about a year or so before the pinned barrel feature.

Whatever the caliber, if in good condition with no flaws both are worth over $500 now. Also, both of these revolvers are excellent target guns if you avoid the 78-81 production of 25-5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:01 pm 
Major
Major

Thanks GS, one of these days I am going to re-look at that gun if it is still available. I have no need for one, but know I can probably get it for the $500.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:27 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

My 25-5 was made in 1987 and has the tighter throats. While I do not have the proper tools to measure the inside diameter of the throat. a .452 sized bullet will not begin to enter from the front.

My first 25-5 was a lot looser. I don't recall when it was made. I purchased that one new in the early 80's but then it was stolen along with a few others.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:01 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

wow , these are spendy arent they ?

i enjoyed your posts , learned a bit , glad im happy with my C&R colts and S&W , this could put me in bakrupcy