[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Any of y'all seen one of these yet?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:32 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

So ugly it's cool. I would imagine they are not cheap but being a fan of the .357 for personal defense I would like to play with one for a while. I can see where it might make a decent back up gun.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/725

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thinking id like to shoot it before i bought , as the owner of a now departed dan wesson 15-2 i can tell you right now that 357 mag is not gentle with an ergonomically incorrect item , and id want to 'feel' this before i bought it ,

it is cute lookin tho , and it looks like a great candidate for a 'backup' gun ,

how did you happen to find this ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:18 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....looks "interesting"....but right off the bat the grip makes me go "eesh"... :lol ....like Square sez- I'd have to try one first ;) ....I still love my SP-101 best :Dbounce: ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:21 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:32 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

sounds good , ive been shy of the 357 since i shot it early on , probably because i was used to the 38spcl and not prepared for the difference of these ,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:49 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Butt-ugly! :kap: My first thought with something like this is how much powder burns outside the barrel?

A big muzzle flash shows you are not getting all the bang for your buck that you should. I think the main advantage of a 357 for CCW is that you have an extra margin of safety when using +P 38 special ammo.

We could have quite a discussion concerning the best gun/caliber for CCW. I'll stay with my S&W 2" model 15. It's reliable and shoots where I look. I have confidence in it. I'd like to mess around with a P7, but the S&W is paid for. SW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:03 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

I pretty much agree with you, and have pushed the revolver for as long as I can remember for most people and still like them for myself. My back up was still a 2 in .357 loaded with .38 Specials until recently when I loaned it to a friend is having hard times and had to sell her CCW and lives alone in the boonies. I think that is why this ugly critter got my attention.

With some of the new powders made just for short barrels I don't know how much you are losing. The muzzle flash is quiet impressive from my wifes gun, with the loads I normally run through her 4 in Rossi. But I keep her loaded with .38s which I think is quiet enough gun for the ranges she would be using it for.

For my CCW finally got another 1911 and feel like I am about as covered as I can be. Hard to beat the old war horse, the 45 acp has been there and done that for a long time. The issue with that is here in FL even on my large frame it can be a challenge to hide it during the summer (which lasts for 9 months) plus I wear bibs a lot so the SOB carry is out. I have been thinking about either going to a fag bag (fanny pack ) carry or a small frame revolver or dare I say it a .380 that I can stick in my pocket.

If this is on the wrong place feel free to move it but any thoughts are gladly considered.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:36 pm 

No - this is a great place to discuss CCW issues.

We have separate forums for different topics, but I do not believe in interrupting any valid discussion of the things we stand for.

I sincerely believe there is no magic right CCW weapon. If possible, a person should at least handle and preferably shoot a variety of different handguns.

And choose the one that feels best. And that is not painful to shoot. I also encourage people to shoot as much as their circumstances allow. More is better. I keep preppy daughter & SiL in practice ammo & do not grouse when they ask for more.

Another thing I always tell people: "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." SW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:17 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i agree , on both scores - good a place as any to discuss CCW ,

and there are pros/cons to both handguns , its a matter of what you trust your life to because thats what CCW is all about , i have my shooters and my plinkers and my collectors , but not all of them would fit my CCW mindset ,

use what youy are confident in , it has to work for you first time or you needent worry over it again ,

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:03 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

I really like a good revolver anyway, but for a CCW it just keeps things as simple as possible, and for a noob it made even more sense to me. My wife had never even shot a handgun before we got married, so I got her a 4 in heavy .357 and started her with light .38s and worked her up, once she was shooting full house loads, I went to the short barrel, had her try a lot of them until she found on that felt good in her hand and started her with the light loads and worked up again. The original point and shoot device. The draw back of the slow reload doesn't really bother me, because at the range she would be using it 6 should do it. And the .38 spl has been doing it for a long time and still works for us.

My 1911 is just what I wanted I don't really need those hi cap mags, with 8+1 and a spare mag in my pocket or go bag I don't feel underguned. I have been using that platform for a lot of years so an FFL is not an oh chit panic moment. I have been lucky and although I have not shot this one a lot I have not had a single hiccup from it. Only draw back to me is as I said kind of hard to hide under a T shirt and a bit heavy.