Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:52 pm 
I broke the extractor on my otherwise pristine Steyr M95M today, need a replacement spare, does anyone have one?

all replies or leads appreciated, until then I have a single shot that needs a stick to eject the empty shell...

PM me on this message board, post here, or email hsf18
@epix.net

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:03 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Those are way tough to find! A forum member who hasn't checked in for quite a while - ConradWojo - was making them from 1917 extractors. I bought one from him & it works fine.

Another forum member - Riceone - machines them from bar stock. Spot on dimension wise but expensive. You can PM him here or at gunboards. He is an expert machinist. SW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:07 pm 
I happen to have a spare Enfield 1917 extractor, but the tip was worn on it, I'll check that out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:29 pm 

I have always been leery of breaking extractors on my M.95Ms and shoot only light cast loads. SW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:48 pm 
it broke when I tried to remove it, to clean the helix grooves inside the bolt body, and oil the inside of the bolt- so the action would cycle easier. I also have (2) Ross rifle 303's and disassembled them and oiled them earlier this week, and they cycled much easier. When I tried to remove the extractor from the M95M, it broke.

I should have just oiled it through the gas vent holes in the bottom of the bolt. But these typically are sludged up inside and can use a cleaning.

My intuition is telling me, that most of these M95M extractors break when they are removed for cleaning, not from shooting them. The extractor doesn't take the recoil, it just floats in there and goes along for the ride. I learned the hard way, to remove the extractor pry it outward in the thicker middle part, NOT the thin part up near the claw- that's how it broke.

The M95M extractors are obviously are not as tough as a typical Mauser or Enfield or Springfield extractor, I believe the M95M extractors have a metallurgy issue, and are too brittle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:45 pm 
PFC
PFC

Don't have to remove the extractor, Just use Brake Parts cleaner and wash out the
crud. Just don't get it on the stock finish. I use it to clean all my bolts & Gas ports
on my semi autos. Saves time cleaning, just remember to lube all parts after cleaning
as the brake parts cleaner removes all lube and dirt. Hope this helps.
webfoot10