[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Veteran's Flags

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Veteran's Flags
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:49 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

We have an older Vet in our lodge who is associated with our local VFW, who undertook a noble task. The VFW had over 150 5' X 9.5' coffin flags that they were trying to find any families of the deceased for.

It has been a monumental task for this gentleman who has done a great job of finding these flags a home.

That being said, our lodge is still in possession of 40 or more orphaned flags.

The gentleman has recently been diagnosed with lung cancer for the second time . He will be leaving Sunday to go upstate for 7 weeks of chemo at the hospital. He has a hospice to stay at so he is taken care of. However his wife isn't so blessed. It is about a 1.5 - 2 hour trip (depending on traffic) Our lodge will help out as much as possible with transportation for her to get there as often as possible.

Now the issue of the orphaned flags came up a couple of weeks back. It was suggested that these be turned into the American Legion for destruction. I thought it would be better to use them to raise funds for our local charities. We raise as much money as we can (mostly through candy sales as we don't have a great facility for dinners and such). Among the charities we support are the county Special Olympics, 3 different Boy Scout & Cub Scout troops, scholarships for local students & a few others (like the situation with our elder Brother)

These are mostly 50 star flags with stitched stripes & stars, although there are a couple of 48 star flags left .

I would like to start these at $35 each (shipping averages $10 a pop but varies by location).

The lodge wanted me to use a sharpie and black out the names, I felt they should be left on to honour the Vets who have passed and not to take away any of the history of these items. As a vet myself, I would have no problem leaving my name on one of these. Some of the names are embroidered in to the pole side webbing.

Drop me an IM or a response here and I can get info and photos to those interested

Thanks

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject: Re: Veteran's Flags
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:58 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

......even though funds are tight since bein' unemployed,sign me up for one....if theres a 48 star,I'd like one of those-if not,a good ol' 50 star will do just fine... :Dbounce: lemme know specifics when you can ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:04 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

dittos bruce , i will take one as well , hoping this does the trick for getting her there when she needs to be there , these seven weeks will pass quickly but they will not be easy ,

im curious how the flags did not end up with the families originally but i would not want the names defaced either as the honor should remain , unless it is required by some tradition i wish it to remain

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:46 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Hey guys. Thanks. I didn't forget about you, just have been tied up the past few days with various legal proceedings over the last 3 days. I do have another meeting this eveningS, so I may not be able to get pics for you until tomorrow after work at the earliest.

Mario, I do have some pics of the remaining 48's I will I'm to you when I get to a computer ( these tablets suck for posting )

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

just tell me where to send the funds and who to write the check to bruce , ill get it in the mail ,

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:56 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

on the way

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:16 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...the 48 Star Flag arrived today intact and in great condition....thank you very much... ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:56 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

great to hear ,