Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:07 pm 

I have the long M95 Steyr rifle in the original 8X50R, that I have been reloading for the past 6 months. I've been using the Prvi Partizan reformed brass in both the 7.62X54R and the 8X56R for my 8X50R brass. Using the CCI 200 primer, 37gr. 3031 in all of my loads, the only difference is the bullet. One being the Buffalo Arms .330 208gr. FMJBT bullet, and the Lee Cast .329 205gr. bullet.

The .330 FMJBT bullet is right on target in the bulls eye at 100 yards, with the .329 cast bullet I can't even get it on paper at 50 yards, let alone at 100 yards. Both Prvi Partizan brass (7.62X54R & 8X56R) with the FMJBT are right on. The cast bullet hasn't hit the paper yet. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:03 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I've had good results using the Lee 205grain cast boolet over 20.0/AA5744. Some rifles are picky though.

And! :welcome: :nube: Welcome too the madness! :bigrin:

Eastern Colo plains... Last Chance? SW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:16 am 

Of course of all the powders I have, I don't have AA5744.... Might have to put that on my shopping list before all is said and done. Actually, I was thinking of trying out H335 on my next loads, but I was really happy with the results with the 3031 and the FMJBT rounds. Just increase the powder charge from 37gr working up to 42gr.

Thank for the Welcome!

Nope, I live even further east than Last Chance, by some distance, actually I live in the middle of NOWHERE...... Closer to the KS border where I can see the KS Border Patrol from my home making sure no one escapes. :D Let's see Idalia is 18 miles to the west, St. Francis, KS is 17 miles to the east of me, Burlington is 45 miles to the south, and Wray is 29 miles to the north. Like I said in the middle of nowhere......

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:48 am 
The Knife
The Knife

And another :welcome: :nube:

Middle of nowhere, must be nice.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:25 pm 

I've been in that country. Went out to Beecher's Island after I read up on the fight. It's... rural. SW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:45 pm 

Thanks Rad for the welcome! Only thing I can say about living out here is everything is more expensive, food, fuel, are the big ones. Going to the store for something is in the 100 mile round trip deal, but I sure like it out here.

Beecher Island has a Black Powder shoot twice a year, one in the spring, during Chief Roman Nose days, and a fall shoot around Memorial day for Beecher Island Days. If you have a Black Powder side lock, come out and join us.

Tomorrow we have a Black Powder Blanket Shoot, in St. Francis, at their range. It's a fun shoot where we throw something of value on the blanket, first place shooter gets first choice of the items on the blanket, on down to the last place person gets what is left. Just have a grand old time, then there is a pot luck tomorrow evening.

Come on out and join the fun!

AJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:05 am 
The Knife
The Knife

AJ
A little side note, I have a place about midway between Sundance and Moorcroft that I am trying to sell because I won't be able to live on it. It is about 45 miles to any major retail outlets. It would be good for about a 500 yd range though. I did get to take a few mule deer off of it.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:45 pm 

Hey Rad, Kids are trying to get me to move in closer to the Denver Metro area, so WY is really not an option at this point. But thanks any way.....

You guys missed out on a good pot luck this evening, and a really nice shooting day!

AJ