Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: m95 accurizing
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:19 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Hello all. Looking for a barrel for my m95 steyr. Or a solution to why it shoots so poorly. It's all over the place at one hundred yards. Can the barrel be rebored? I don't reload. Just use commercial ammo. I slugged the barrel, and it's wide and skinny. It pushed down easy then got super tight. I cant find the numbers. I did it a long time ago, and misplaced them. I really like the gun, its a great size, and the bolt is fun to work. Thanks, i appreciate the help, and or ideas.

Post subject: Re: m95 accurizing
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:40 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

There was a post on gunboards about rebarreling to a different caliber, but I can't recall what it was now.

Is your bore tighter toward the breech? That would create a lot of accuracy issues. Rather than the expense of boring the barrel out to a different diameter and rifling it, you might consider a barrel swap. Or watch for a barreled action to which you could add your bolt and other parts.

If you do something like that, I have a small supply of M.95 parts you could have for the postage. SW

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:49 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Thanks Hogger. Yes, a barrel swap would be nice. I'm on the lookout for one. If i remember correctly when I slugged the barrel it was mainly wider in the middle.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:17 pm 

I'll root through my pile of parts guns & see if I have a decent barreled receiver. The price will be right = 0 if I find one. SW

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:00 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

hope you find what you need elie , im not one with parts or i would give them to you , and unfortunately mine would all be enfield parts if i had any , but i wish you well in this endeavor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:46 pm 
Major
Major

Eliculpepper,

Is your m95 a rifle (30 inch barrel) or the carbine 20 inch barrel.

Is your Steyr the S type converted to 8x56R or is it the original 8x50 caliber cartridge.

You say you slugged the barrel. Where did it start getting tight? Did you put a bullet point down the muzzle. If it is wallowed out at the muzzle and is not too corroded it can be counter-bored from one to two inches.

Are you familiar with corrosive ammo and how to clean the barrel after using it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:22 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Thanks again Hogger. It's the 20 inch carbine, navy. Converted to 8x56r. I'm familiar with corrosive cleaning. The barrel is actually pretty shiny. I think its wider in the middle than on rhe ends. I appreciate the help. There's a barrel on ebay, but its pretty spendy. The last barrel I bought on ebay for my M1 turned out to be a piece of crap. So I'm not too excited about the steyr barrel on ebay.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:21 pm 
Major
Major

The problem is the groove diameter. I have measured bore diameters of 20 inch barrels. Some of the pristine ones measured as small as 0.312-.313 in. . Most measured at 0.314-.315 in. The groove diameters ranged from 0.324- 0.331 in. The listed groove diameter was 0.328-.329 inch.

The designers chose to use a bore and groove larger than the standard 8x57. I just found a barrel blank made by Lothar that is .330 groove diameter and bore diameter of 0.318. That gives a land height of 0.006 inch. rather than .008 inch height of the original. The groove diameter is also 0.001 inch greater than standard, but I have measured pristine appearing M95 barrels of this diameter.

I think this is not bad for a 26 inch barrel at $214 plus shipping. The O.D. of the barrel is 1.26 inch which would give a shoulder thickness of about 0.050 inch for receiver contact. If this is not enough they might have slightly thicker blanks or a pinned reinforce could be used.

I don't think you have anything to lose by counter-boring your barrel about 1/2 inch to begin with. I would not use a reamer or bit larger than 0.340-0.345 inch diameter due to the muzzle diameter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:10 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Thanks for that response oldernavy. Counterbore seems like a good idea. I appreciate the specs too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:21 pm 

We're having a garage sale tomorrow & I've been elected haul junk from the basement that somebody might buy. Might not, in which case I get to haul it to the dumpster. Hoarder lady down the street will go bonkers dumpster diving for treasures! Like just her feet will be visible while she roots through stuff. I'm not making this up - she literally dives into the dumpsters!

Anyway, I took a break to sort through my parts rifles. The Steyr stuff was mostly M.95M barreled receivers from a 5-fer U-fixem deal or 2 back in the day. Pretty much too junky to make good tomato stakes.

From another multiple guns for one low price u-fixem special, I did find an M.95 long rifle barreled receiver from which some bonehead had sawed the front 2" away - probably just to get the front sight. However, the bore is quite nice! So if you have the means to shorten it to spec, crown the muzzle and attach a front sight, it's yours for the cost of postage. A 1915 Steyr. SW

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:40 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Okay, thanks Hogger. Let me talk to my gunsmith buddy and see what he thinks. I can't do all that, but he can. But it might be more cost effective for me to try the counterbore first. Ill talk to him tomorrow. Thats funny about the dumpster diver.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:00 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

I won't need the barrel as of yet Hogger. My gunsmith is going to try the counterbore. Thanks, much appreciated. And he has 800 rounds for sale, cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:37 pm 

Okay. The offer stands, though. SW