Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More 8x50R data
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:59 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

gschwertley
(11/26/05 11:41 pm)

The experiments with this caliber continue.

185 gr. Remington spire point (bulk bullet) .323
42.0 gr. IMR 4350
CCI 250 mag primer
Cut-down & reformed military 8x56R case (boxer primer conversion)
Avg. muz. velocity 1398
Standard deviation 16.97

205 gr. Hornady spire point .330
42.0 gr. IMR 4350
CCI 250 mag primer
Cut-down and reformed Graf 7.62x54R case
Avg. muz. vel. 1423
Std. dev. 25.62

Compare the data above to that of "Old Western Scrounger" brand of custom-made 8x50R ammo with a 220 grain bullet, below:

Avg. muz. velocity 1854
Standard deviation 12.54

The Old Western Scrounger ammo has respectible velocity (for this caliber and bullet weight) and a good spread. This ammo is no longer being sold. The comparison shows me that I have a way to go to duplicate the OWS performance because I have been conservative. On the other hand, this is never a bad idea when you are experimenting with loads. I will disassemble one of the OWS loads to "see what I can see."

When using the pointed bullets in loading 8x50R, they often do not feed well. The rifles re-worked to shoot 8x56R have modifications made to the ramping in the receiver to take care of this. Long, round-nose lead bullets feed fine in the 8x50R, but heavy, round nose jacketed bullets are difficult to find in 8mm (.323). Some time soon, I will try 170 gr. RN jacketed bullets for feed. See my previous notes on reloading this caliber as to why you can use .323 or .329/.330 bullets in this rifle.

"Sehr schwer, mein Herr"