[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Real Odd Steutzen 410bore

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:26 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Today a friend sold me a genuine duffel bag bring-back from the Italian Campaign, WW11. It started it's life as a 1915 Stutzen calvary carbine, two sets of sling swivels tell me this, short ladder rear sight. What made me take it is this carbine is now a .410bore shotgun, using the original barrel, all kinds of markings on the receiver and barrel reinforce, also, It's a Budapest. It had never been re-chambered from the original 8x50r. I have to get my wife to get the close-up of the receiver as I don't know how to. The bore has some pitting but is shootable, loads of surface rust that needs more wire brushing. Under the wood is almost all blue, it was brought back by my friends grandfather after the war, verifiable. There is a very clear 1928 on the receiver and barrel reinforce, a crown with PSF under it, another crown with FINITO under that, and a few more crowns. I'm guessing the conversion is Italian. Pics to come later, but if anyone has any info on this, I'd like to hear it. RandyImage[img]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff283/RANDY393/m-952.jpg[IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff283/RANDY393/m-952.jpg[/img][/IMG]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:20 pm 
Major
Major

Post subject: Odd
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:36 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:14 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject: Steutzen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:13 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I think this will work. Ok, it worked!!

Post subject: One more pic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:16 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Here's another, better shot.Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:47 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Rome fell because it had a Senate-what will become of us with both a Senate and a House-Will Rogers

Post subject: 410
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:15 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Don, I had it all apart, only the chamber is different. Boltface, extractor and follower are all original. Tomorrow I'll load a clip with 410's and try to feed.

Post subject: Steutzen
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:46 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Don, I'm wondering if 1928 Italy, or Europe for that matter even had a .410bore shotgun. I couldn't help myself and loaded a clip with 5 slugs, it went into the mag alright, but wouldn't chamber the first round, maybe halfway. I didn't force it and won't till I can get to the range. Just wondering if this is really what I think it is, or is it a large caliber rifle round? The muzzle indicates it's at least .410 shotgun sized. Then again, why a smoothbore if it isn't a shotgun? All these questions! My guess is there was probably a varient of our .410 that might have been slightly smaller in size. And yes, I scrubbed the bore earlier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:11 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:28 pm 
Major
Major

The 410 brass base is about .473 in diameter. I do not know what the base diameter of the 8mm unmod chamber is. Could cause problems if it is like the 8x56R which is close to .492 in.

The Saami pressure for a 410 is about 13500psi. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:54 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

NRA life member
583rd ORD Co/59 ORD BDE
Handorf FRG 1988-1990

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:59 pm 
Major
Major

Post subject: M-95/410
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:39 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I must have omitted this little fact, sorry. Not only is the barrel bored out, I noticed the chamber has been as well, I wouldn't have gone this far without knowing that. It's bored straight and I can even see the ridge where the shell would stop after being chambered. What am I bid for this enigma? And why am I not getting e-mails notifying me of replies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:31 am 
Major
Major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:39 am 
Major
Major

Post subject: Internals
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:25 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:20 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:45 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:05 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General