Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:50 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I just got this one last night. It doesn't seem to have been used much as most of the black paint remains. It's shown with my commie M.95M for size perspective.

A little background on the Bulgarian trainer:

After WW1, Bulgaria wound up with thousands of M.95 Steyr long rifles. Many were shortened to 'carbine' length - some were converted to 7.9 and had the M applied to the M.95, making them M.95M for "Mauser" cartridge.

Hundreds more were 'de-milled' by making a large opening over the chamber and welding over the bolt face. The firing pin was chopped off. The bolt face was milled flat, and the rifles were issued to what we would call high school students and other cadets for close order drill and manual of arms training. Cheep black paint was shoddily applied to designate them as trainers.

I've seen some that were all beat up toward the front like they had been used for bayonet practice - possibly bayonet fencing.

Bulgaria exported these to America in the late 50s - early 60s. I have actually seen the ads in old gun magazines from that era advertising these as lamps! :-o The ad I recall showed them in groups of three with the butt plates welded to a metal stand. Wires were run up the barrel by way of the convenient opening over the chamber and a cheep lamp shade was added.

A large percentage of the remaining examples were simply taken down and the parts sold separately. There aren't all that many of the original trainers left, so I'll keep this one like it is... unless I luck into a nice long rifle barreled action in 8x50R at a cheep price! ;) SW

More detailed pics of the action here: http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewIt ... =117023848