Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Surplus Swiss at Cabelas
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:36 pm 
Major
Major

Cannot believe what cabelas is selling the Swiss rifles for low $600’s. Are they really worth that now?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:41 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I won't say they're worth that, but they've really come up in price. Now if M.95 Steyrs would just come up. SW

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:10 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

yes and the items they are selling are nowhere near as nice as what used to be available ,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:32 pm 
Major
Major

95 Steyrs might go up in price if they did two things.

1. Make new extractors for both 95s and the 95M.

2. Make new bolt heads. These along with the extractors wear and make the bolts trip too easily and drag on the bolt guides during chambering and extraction. Both parts should be nitrided to reduce wear. Of course the price of either part would probably exceed the cost of the rifle.

At least you can still get nos bolt parts for the Swiss K31.
While the Steyrs are more compact, the Swiss are a lot smoother in operation. I think this is why the Swiss rifles are more popular and in demand. I also think the light, short barreled Stutzen/carbines and the cartridge are a little too much in the recoil department for many.

Alas, there is just not enough here and not enough demand for new replacement parts for the Steyrs even though they were in a war while the Swiss rifles were never used in combat. It is usually the weapons used in war that bring the most value.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:44 pm 
Major
Major

My first Swiss was a Schmidt Rubin 1889/1911 rifle. It cost $17 and included 10 rounds of IAC ammo along with the cleaning kit and grey speckled bag. This was in the early 1970s. A little later in early 80s the selling price for a K31 here was $800. After they started the mass import of them the price crashed and they were available for as little as $79 IIRC.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:03 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

dont recall exactly what my schmidt rubins cost me back when but i can say it was not that cheap but significantly cheaper that what we see today , and all of mine were pretty nice rifles in that era , the bayonets were almost more costly than the rifles , but all those were really mint items , not ever thinking i wish i had them back - i have way too many interests for my pocketbook but i sometimes miss them a little bit ,