[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - My YC K98k's

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My YC K98k's
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:19 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Lol, given the two-attachment limit/post, here at least are the front ends of three of my favorite 8mm Mausers, all YC K98k's.
Top to bottom:
Gew 98 receiver with a like-new Bayard barrel, standard K98k configuration.
Mod 98, standard K98k configuration, walnut stock.
Mod 98/48, all K98k parts, except for the shorter Yugoslav-manufactured barrel … note how the stock and handguard have been shortened slightly to fit the shorter-stepped Yugo barrel.

03.jpg
03.jpg [ 124.62 KiB | Viewed 7851 times ]

Here's how the Mod 98/walnut stock shot, now almost 7 years ago to the day, lol … Bruce was the spotter who told me to aim roughly where the blue dot is on the target, red dots are where the five rounds in the full mag landed. Sorry for the messy-looking target … had put pieces of black electrical tape over a lot of the hits on black and then later removed them. The ammo was German 1939 milsurp I'd bought from J&G in Arizona when it was still available.

YCMod98.jpg
YCMod98.jpg [ 49.19 KiB | Viewed 7851 times ]

Post subject: Re: My YC K98k's
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:06 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Here are the other two old pics I have of these three

01.jpg
01.jpg [ 84.12 KiB | Viewed 7843 times ]

02.jpg
02.jpg [ 79.54 KiB | Viewed 7843 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:58 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...you are gonna make Herr Messer drool... :lol ...a lot of us are havin a helluva time gettin on this forum just to view-let alone post,,,at least till this problem is resolved... :-?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:55 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

How the heck are ya, Mario!?
Those three Mausers have seen about as much range time as I have in the past few years, which is practically NIL! You and Fr8 already saw two of them that day, now (holy crap) SEVEN years ago! Later came across the Yugo Gew98 rebuild on top of the pic at the local shop here in town, and still can't believe how pristine the bore in that thing looks. The only issue with the gun when I got it was that the bolt hung up on the ejector, but I took care of that;) First three rounds out of it with the Hirtenberger ammo @ 100yds landed within one inch ... the range officer, character that he is, said he'd give me $5 more than I'd paid for it, lol (his dad was a WWII, Korea and Vietnam vet).
Sorry to hear about the forum issues, and I hope they're resolved soon! I have a few more pics to post. Have a fun and safe holiday weekend!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:39 am 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:55 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

I was going to start a new post about the YC K98k's, but since the pics of mine are still here, I'll add to this one. The two on the bottom of these pics (Mod98 & Mod98/48) were my two first K98 purchases just over 10 yrs ago .. Yugo-rebuild matching receivers/bolts/stocks, most German stamps scrubbed, Yugo crest on the receiver tops, bores shiny and clean with some land wear, and both are good shooters.

The Mod98/48 was refitted with a Yugo barrel .. by the Yugos (Radionica145) .. and the stock shortened to match the end of the middle barrel step. Every single Mod98/48 Yugo rebuild I've seen has a Yugo barrel with the same shortening of the K98 stock. Been some debate about them doing this, and so far the collectors have been mum about it... :-?

Would anyone know if the value of the YC K98's has gone up enough in general that it would make more sense to sell these for cash, or would I lose nothing by using them as project guns (rebarreling, etc?)

Here's a 98/48 currently for sale with no mention if it has matching stamps or not. Not sure what to make of the hefty starting price .. if this is reasonable and is what they're currently going for, then I may think about selling mine :P
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =330737151

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:38 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....thats waaaaaay overpriced in my opinion and to be expected on 'Gunborker'(as hogger calls it :rotflma: )-but i'm sure the Yugo K98s have gone up in value-just havent looked lately to see what the reasonable pices are

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:01 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Yep, way high was my first thought, too. And it's not described as having matching Yugo numbers either!? Heck, maybe HALF that might be a better starting price, even for a matcher? Seller apparently has an A+ rating, and does that look like maybe a G33/40 bolt in that thing?
;) ... hehe, yet another good example of a Mod98/48 with a Yugo barrel and the shortened K98k stock/handguard 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:41 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...the last yugo K98 I bought was back in 2003....and it was $200-and had leftover German partial scrubbed marks on stock and receiver..

...these were taken with a really crappy camera back then and dont look as good resolution wise now as they did then...

....the remains of a Gothic script "Mod98"
yugogothicmod2.jpg
yugogothicmod2.jpg [ 27.5 KiB | Viewed 7814 times ]

....cartouche on stock...
Yugomark.jpg
Yugomark.jpg [ 36.26 KiB | Viewed 7814 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:36 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

lol, that's a new one on me! ... fer cryin' out loud, now I'm gonna hafta check out Branko's book again :P The gothic original stamp is visible in the first pic, but unfortunately no trace of a stock cartouche visible in the second pic here .. where on the stock is it? I can't see it. Is that a German Mod98 stamp that far behind the original one, or a Yugo rework stamp? What barrel is on it .. K98k, Czech, Yugo .. ? My Yugo rework Gew98 in the top pic has a 'Bayard' FN barrel, same length as the K98k ..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:39 am 
The Knife
The Knife

I think the bolt may be a Kar98A as it has a full 90* bend. It seems to be way over priced.

If you need a K98 to do a project on I have a non matched Yugo that I will sell you for $150.00.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:28 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Yep, I agree .. the GB one is definitely way way overpriced .. did a simple googl for the Mod98/48, and that's by chance what I happened to find .. still taking the tack that the 98/48's were a result of Yugo running out of good K98k barrels before they ran out of Mod98 receivers and so filled the need with their own newly manufactured Yugo barrels after 1947 :crzy: .. might be way off track, but I haven't yet found anything in Branko's book to the contrary ..

Definitely interested in your non-matched Yugo .. that one I can afford .. got some so-so K98 and Yugo barrels from Numrich a few years ago that I'd love to experiment with .. we'll be in touch .. keep me posted 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:41 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...the remains of the eagle cartouche is visible in the usual location right below the takedown disk...if you click the pic it should open in a new window and larger.....or I could email it to you...but its there and visible....easier to see than the gothic MOD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:47 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

OK, I see it .. brain fart on my part .. I was looking for some overstamp like on the siderail..