Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Anyone care to comment on the current state of the market for Russian capture K98's?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:58 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...its been a while since last I looked,and they were getting a bit expensive-even for the run of the mill BYF44's since the flood of RC's dried up ....seems not too long ago even $200 seemed hi for them,now you're lucky to get one almost twice the price-or more for a nice one...Rad got my last and best one-a 1940 243-the bolt matched but everything else was the correct WaA marked-including stock....I've sold or traded off all of mine to good homes to finance other purchases...if I was to get another it'd have to be an all matcher...and thats even more $$$ than She Who Must Be Obeyed will allow me to spend without serious consequences... :-o ...I probably should have kept them since they'd be worth a nice increase for the meager $$$ I invested back then...:rotflma:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:47 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Well, there's a reason for posing this question. My son Rob (33) and I were on a road trip to Denver recently. When I'm hurtling down the interstate, if I see a Cabela's, I stop and look. Not long into the trip, I stopped at one of their stores. They had recently bought a collection of about 450 pieces from someone. There were lots of milsurps in the lot, from $14,000 snipers (their price, anyway), RC Lugers, scads of 6.5 and 7.35 Italians, and several racks of K98's, mostly RC. One was a G.98-40, 660 1940 I think it was. Also a few Yugo things. I spent some time examining every K98. The bolts were tied shut so I couldn't get a good look at the bores, except to examine the crowns. Some looked shot, others looked good. Lots of diff. manufacturers, byf, dou, bnz, bcd, bcd/ar, some S/42's of diff. years, some 147 & 243 and a few BSW. Didn't see a single ce (Sauer).

Mis-matched bolts as you'd expect, but when I talked to the help about their 450 gun buy, the salesman told me "all the good stuff is gone" which means they had better than the ones currently on display. On the remaining pieces, different markings, some with the Russian strike-over on the receiver, some without, etc.

I passed on buying an RC when they were cheap. As an advanced Mauser collector friend advised at the time, "Oh, you don't want to buy one of those greasy, mis-matched things."

However, now I'm thinking that the opinion these are undesirable "greasy mismatches" is the viewpoint of a strict condition collector. The historical interest surrounding the RC guns is there, e.g., it's almost certain that they are all veterans of the eastern front and have seen actual combat. Unlike a very nice LW-marked rifle that spent all of the war years on a Norwegian airfield, as another example. One with an early date might be a veteran of several fronts.

Since I missed out on the RC rifles the first time around, this is a second chance and I'm thinking about getting one. They are priced at $400 and $500 which seems like a lot, particularly since condition from one price category to another makes you wonder, "Huh?" Well, I guess that will be the price to pay for history if I decide to follow through. I'm going to drive 300+ miles over to this store Thursday and look them all over again. I doubt if they've sold many or any since I last looked.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:27 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Which cabelas had the Italian rifles? SW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:16 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Post Falls, Idaho.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:24 pm 

I have about give up on cabelas in Sidney, Nebr. Hardly any military rifles at all these days. SW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:23 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Like I said, this was part of a one-time buy of 450 guns from a private party who'd hoarded them. Possibly an estate, meaning the relatives had no use for them with the passing of the deceased. But that's only a guess on my part.

At any rate, they didn't get these as part of any regular resupply. In all of their stores that I've been in that carry guns, they have signs up that advise that they are buyers. In the Cabela's nearest me, I've seen how the process works. They buy at very low pay-out amounts.

The Italian rifles all had short stocks on them. At least all the ones in two full racks that I saw. I'm not expert on Italian rifles; I know that there were a couple of models with a short stock and a folding bayonet that went underneath the barrel. But none of these that I could tell had the bayonet. They were in both calibers and I assume that the stocks had been cut on most. The prices on the few tags that I looked at showed an asking price of about $140.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:33 am 

Yep... Junk. Every one of em. SW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:00 am 
The Knife
The Knife

You mentioned a G98/40, if it was a split rear bridge and should say G98/40 on the side rail, it will be worth it as they are somewhat scarce A 660 1940 is a K98 and I got the one that Mario had.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:47 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Rad, it wasn't the G98-40. Those are modified Hungarian M.35's. It must've been a G29-40, reworked Polish. I didn't take notes on any of this, so was just going from memory. This one looked just like a K98 but the marking on the receiver didn't say that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:47 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Even if a G29/40 it would still be worth that amount. Those are also somewhat scarce too.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member