Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:21 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

I came across an interesting K98k last fall .. the boyfriend of a friend's daughter inherited a K98k from an older relative in Florida who allegedly was a WWII Europe vet, and he let me take a look at it. The other family members kept a Luger, and gave him this particular K98k. Supposedly a vet bringback, but there are no papers the other family members gave him. His now ex-girlfriend told me he's considering selling it, but I don't know enough about the collector aspect of these things to place a reasonable value on it (I definitely would like to buy it from him if the price isn't too high).

Here's what I saw ...
Top of receiver is a Lübeck 237 over 41, or 1941.

It's been rebarreled with a WaA 623 Steyr barrel (623, Bö or something like that, underneath the stock line)
What's interesting about the barrel is even though it's not from the original gun, it's been neatly restamped on the top left with the correct serial via the receiver, and even more interesting, every single original sight part (WaA214 and original gun serial), front and rear, bases included, were reinstalled on that barrel.
Almost forgot to mention that there are no import marks on the barrel.

The stock has been replaced with a laminated flat buttplate stock, with its matching handguard, this one a WaA26 Borsigwalde stock&handguard (they left the 26 bayo lug on the stock, but the gun's original 214 matching serial flat buttplate was installed on this stock. The stock is real grimy and dirty, buttplate included, which tells me it's been on that stock for a long time. Original triggerguard, floorplate, and both correct serialed barrel bands from the original gun were also used.

All of the rear bolt parts (shroud, safety, cocking piece) are also a serial# match to the original receiver, but the bolt body, extractor and firing pin are replacements. Underneath the bolt root there's the Steyr double '77' stamp, but the top of the root has been scrubbed and neatly renumbered to the original gun serial.

Although a bit dirty, the overall fit and finish of the gun is for all practical purposes perfect .. the stock isn't warped and the action sits perfectly in it, with the proper clearance above the barrel at the bands and handguard . Bore is a little rough, I'm thinking more due to deposits than pitting, so a thorough cleaning will tell.

What I don't know is if it may be a wartime German rework, or maybe postwar rework. The newly stamped matching serial on the barrel is done very neatly but the font is slightly bigger than the receiver stamp, and there is no WaA proof near it.
Anybody know if the Germans restamped new WaA's when they reworked them? Dad was an armorer, learned at the Berlin weapons school, but his specialty became more the heavier guns like Flak43, the new long 75mm's on the Panthers, 75mm's on the StuGs, etc, so small arms were a side note. Unfortunately I can't ask him much about any of that stuff because he thought the war was a bunch of BS he was lucky to survive, and has no patience with questions about any of it. Because of his armorer duty he never carried rifles but instead was issued pistols only throughout the war.

If possible, any futher information or ideas about the potential value of this K98k would be appreciated. I'd like to make the guy a fair price offer on the thing. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:53 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

..the 'scrubbed and renumbered' makes me wrinkle my nose just a bit-but I am far from knowledgeable -would love to see it,or pics...I KNEW I shouldnt have sold my copy of "Backbone of the Wehrmacht"... :roll: .......no papers.....just the 'story'...it is said "buy the weapon,not the story"...even though it may be 'legit',and not import marked and with its non-original 'warts' I'd treat it as a RC and think mebbe the price of a quality higher end RC price-which lately seem to run around $400...???...that way you wouldnt be screwing him...???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:29 am 
The Knife
The Knife

What Mario said. It sounds like a post war assembled rifle that someone wanted to make it look like it was matching.

If you want a K98k I have two RCs that I will sell. One has a taller front sight and both have slings. Your choice for $400.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:33 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Ok, thanks for the advice .. that it probably was something more likely done after the war was my first thought when I saw the newer number stamps. I asked dad about it last winter and his reply was that there was so much stuff left all over the place after the war that plenty people could get their hands on and put the parts to use.
After the Russians pulled out of the hometown area and it became an official British occupation zone, he returned home, and in the woods way back on the family farm property he came across a whole neatly stacked pile of German munitions .. artillery and mortar rounds, etc, and a big pile of Panzerfausts, all left by the retreating German troops at the end of the war. About twenty minutes east of my hometown is where the eastern front was when the war officially ended. He made sure there were no booby traps left by the retreating troops around the munitions stack, picked up a Panzerfaust, and let a round rip into the woods. lol, it worked just fine, and the big kaboom scared the h*ll out of his mom who wasn't far away.
A lot of farmers in the area put leftover wartime ordnance like that to use around their properties by emptying the powder and using it to remove tree stumps, etc to clean up after the war. That's the same area my 1943dot came from.

Thanks so much for the quick and decisive answers!