Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:00 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Found an interesting G-98 over the weekend. The one I found is one most collectors would turn their noses up at, but advanced collectors get that it has its place in a collection because it tells a historic story. This Gewehr 98 was made for the Germans but clearly saw French service, the dead giveaway is seen in the second photo, the side cut out for a French Berthier style sling. This tells me the gun was either captured in combat or was part of reparation payments to France after WWI. The bore is quite nice and shiny, the crown is perfect. I had been wanting a nice WWI Mauser but unwilling to pay a fortune. This fits my collection of Mausers nicely, I already have a nice WWI era bayonet I have had since I was about 12 years old that fits perfectly, this is one I will enjoy shooting.

Note side cut on stock for French sling.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:00 am 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...if we had a "LIKE" button....I'd hit it a few times... ;) :D :jmp:

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:43 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Well as it turns out the gun has more of a story to tell... I was poked and prodded by some folks on gunboards, its actually a commercial gun, in 8.15x46R mm also known as a Wehrmanns Gewehr. An odd 8mm round created to get around the treaty of Versailles, they are usually single shots to find a box fed Mauser done up this way is a rare bird indeed. I learn something new every day.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... some-point