[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - A Charles Daly

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Charles Daly
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:55 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

Since I get to be first here is my CD that I have to get a scope for.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:38 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....... :indk: ....details....we want more details... :att: :bigrin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:50 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

It is an 06 and may have to put different bases as to cheap scope I tried to put on I had adjust it all the way to the right and it was still shooting to the left about 2". And it only cost $300.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:41 am 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:43 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Commercial Mausers? Their is such a thing? What? Non-Mil-Surp? I don't understand what you mean :grin:

My Mauser was made in 1941 by a company called ErmaWerks. Charles Daly? What code did they stamp with? CD? Does your CD have any waffenpunts? Wa382? Any eagles on it still? Thats a crazy aftermarket stock you got on that! Did you get the original furniture when you bought it?

:hah: :tinhat: :bump: :btkik: :cfee: :rotflma: :rotflma: :rotflma: :-o :grin: :drnk: :box2: :duel: :rotflma: :boozer: :boozer: :boozer: :Dbounce: :Dbounce:

I'm just kiddin with ya! Thats a fine looking gun...

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:57 am 
The Knife
The Knife

To show where it was made. It is Yugo all the way, even the quality (drilled and tapped off center).

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:02 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sounds like that subcontractor didn't get his pay for that piece! Reminds me of a scope I had mounted at Central Range in Dubuque where the cross-hairs are just ever so slightly crooked. Maybe you should take that to up to the same place, then it could be doubly crooked :!:

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:04 am 
The Knife
The Knife

I'm going to get a leupold bases for it so I can adjust the windage.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:09 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I see it says Charles Daly by Z.... Z who? I'm curious who they had make them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:45 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Charles Daly by Zastava. Maker of the Mark X, M48s,and M48As. I have another pic but is not set up to post. Also the over priced M63 mitchel tanker.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:01 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I've run across several quality control disasters involving Charles Daly branded products. My brother nearly ruined a nice target pistol when some Charles daly branded .22 LR ammo was shipped with some cartrides empty of powder. The primer had just enough ump to push the bullet ablout an inch into the bore and cycle the action, his next round nearly blew the slide off. Luckily the heavy square cut barrel didn't bulge.

A pair of J frame grips required quite a bit of fitting but I'd got those cheap because the store was getting rid of all its Charles Daly brand items because of returns and the ammo failures, which apparently were very common with many disatisfied customers.

Besides these incidents I've read of a number of similar quality control complaints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:14 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:56 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Depending on the style of base and rings you use its sometimes possible to file down one side of a Weaver rail or cut the v groove in the ring out a bit to shift the ring to one side to better line up a scope.

If the scope looks like it lines up with the barrel, looking down from above, but doesn't allow the crosshairs to line up with point of impact it could be the scope itself.
I've seen several Tasco scopes that had major flaws.

PS
I once saw a Tech nine with the front sight set at 45 degrees to one side, If the rear sight had been off the same way I'd have figured it was for the Ghetto market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:18 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

The only pressure point on the barrel is the tip of the stock. It would group but it was too far to the left. It was a Tasco scope that I had bought in the 70s and had on another rifle for awhile. I got a set of millet rings for it but just haven't made it to range with it yet. I have a Bushnel banner scope for it now. I will end up free floating the barrel first. I only get to hunt with it when I go to Wyoming as can't use it here in Ohio.

I have heard of a few problems with the quality control in makeing the Charles Dalys.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:17 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I'm reminded of an article reprinted from a Gun magazine of the 1920's.

The article was about cheap mauser style sporting rifles taking away the market for US made sporting rifles.

The guns in question then were mostly made up from unfinished actions leftover from WW1 manufacture, and were as near to being slopped out as old world gunsmithing allowed, which means they were probably better than most modern sporting rifles just the same.

The major objection then was low quality scopes and poorly mounted bases.

Also as I mentioned on another thread the methods for boring long small caliber bores hadn't reached a high level of expertise at the time so bores sometimes wandered a bit. Not enough to be detected by the naked eye but enough to affect point of impact.

I have a feeling that the dustup over there in the 90's put a good deal of strain on the arms industry.

Could be that someone at Zavasta had some less than perfect guns that they found they could palm off on the Charles Daly reps.

Zavasta and Charles Daly parted ways, Remington took over importing Zavasta Mausers. Last I heard anyway.

PS
A Tasco I mounted on a friend's Enfield had a bulge in the tube. It wouldn't fit into a Weaver Tip off ring without some effort.
Could be a defect in the outside of the tube is at fault.

I'd check with another scope and rings.

My own Tasco Pronghorn scope works perfectly.

I noticed that his Tasco though marked the same as mine differed considerably in dimensions.
My scope is Identical to a similar Simmons scope except for markings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:50 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

All my joshing aside about being non-mil-surp... it looks like a nice rifle. Hows it been treating you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:09 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:05 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete