[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Electronic powder measures

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:28 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

For several years I weighed my powder charges from a powder drop with either a magnetic beam scale or some sort of electronic scale. But it was a slow, pain-staking job that made reloading more of a hassle than a pleasure.

Then one day I was browsing through some reloading equipment sites on the innerwebs when I ran across a sale on electronic powder measures that were being clearanced out for the new model. They were selling them cheap, so I jumped on one.

DCP_1032a.jpg
DCP_1032a.jpg [ 89.54 KiB | Viewed 3478 times ]

It's a Lyman Gen 6 electronic powder scale with built in trickler. All you have to do is set the desired charge weight and push a button.

I was loading some .38 Spls. with 700X and by the time I'd set the bullet and crimped it, the next charge was ready. It was sooooooo much easier. I don't know how I ever got along without it!

Okahoma State #1 - Ride 'em Cowboys!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:22 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I have the first gen RCBS, it is slower than molasses but accurate

I have a Redding and Forster powder measure, and using ball powders, once set both are very very accurate,
I usually check one out of 5 or 10, but they are always dead on,

I used the RCBS for 4064 when I shot Garand Matches,

I may need to upgrade if I get to shoot more matches in the future

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:42 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

talked to a guy the other day, he was looking at a Gen6,
he has a Gen5 that developed some issue, and set it back for repair, the folks told him if it could be fixed it would, if not they would give him coupon for a new one,,, seemed odd, since you would think they would just mail him a new one,,

anyway, until it broke, he was very happy with the one he had

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:15 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I mostly use the Dillon RL550b, the powder meter is so accurate I only check weigh at first then maybe 1 in 50 every rounds.
I actually have fired but still primed case to use as a powder catcher using the fail/safe system. Because of that my old PACT model 1 is perfectly adequate!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:22 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i hand dip every load i shoot these days - my reloads are very consistant that way , but then i use an old lyman orange crusher single stage turret , i take my time in the winter hand priming as well , reload all the past years spent cases , inspect each as i go , discard the ones that have exceeded their useful life as i go ,

that reminds me i have a tumbler full to clean after the last match i need to take to the garage while im working in the lawn etc , this system works for me even tho ive sometimes thought to upgrade to a dillon progressive ive yet to have the real need - what would i do when its cold out n dead of winter ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:33 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I just used my Hornady electronic measure to start working up a 25-06 load for late deer season.
It's too slow for loading bulk pistol rounds, but works good for lower count rifle rounds.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:12 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:53 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I've been using an inexpensive Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Digital Reloading Scale for several years for weighing pistol and rifle loads. I've not had any trouble with it; although I have a Lee balance beam scale to double check my loads every now and then. The Frankford scale is $22.10 on Amazon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:22 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Okahoma State #1 - Ride 'em Cowboys!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:28 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I never load all that much at a time anyhow - 50 rounds max normally. So my cheap digital scale and my Hornady trickler do the job quite adequately.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:56 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I don't have the love you all have for these scale /powder dispenser rigs. My RCBS Chargemaster drops charges plus or minus .2-.3 of a grain..worse if its IMR 4064 and plus or minus to .1 or .15 grain if its a ball powder. Been sent back numerous times to RCBS and they say its in "spec" so I have zero use for it , I have in on my reload bench to remind me I got skunked. Now for some of you variance in powder charges doesn't matter much due to distance you shoot and type of target you engage. Big score rings on NRA and CMP targets allow high scores if powder varies in charge weight. I want precision accuracy at 1000 yds. If I was shooting CMP "games" it would not matter much...a mere 200/300 yds and big score rings, and a large X ring to boot. I think precise charge weights of powder makes a world of difference and that is what I use. I have an expensive Sartorius scale and my ammo is precise. I weigh cases and bullets, cull and sort so all cases and bullets are same weights. I chase variables out of my hand loading process.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:40 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:49 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:19 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Lyman , you failed to note how large the 9
and 10 rings are on Service Rifle targets...you
just need rounds landing ...not a tight shot group
in the 10 ring. For that kind of target, charge weight
variances won't matter too much per your High Masters
comments...he'd not be a High Master but a :bull: High Bullshitter
if he said that stuff about 1000 yd shooting !!!