Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compressed Loads
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:59 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Transplated from old YW site:

gschwertley

saddle soap
(6/18/07 12:36 am)
Reply | Edit | Del All

Compressed Loads
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I see the words "compressed load" next to a recommended load, I usually will avoid it. I will try to use a powder that will fill the case as much as possible without needing to be compressed.

You run into this sometimes when you are loading heavy bullets with a long cross-section profile that need to be seated deeply into the case. This may be because of where the leade of the rifling is, or maybe a milsurp rifle that was originally made for a shorter cartridge than it now has. In other words, if you seated the bullet out farther, it wouldn't fit down into the magazine - you'd have a nice single-shot rifle. Consequently, you seat the bullet deeper. Actually, some of the shorter magnum rifle cartridges have this as an inherent problem, but there are powders you can use to get around this.

Of course, when you are using the heavier bullets, you tend to use the slower burning powders, and with stick powders, this means more of it to keep the f.p.s. up.

We all know that different cartridge cases will give you different pull on the bullet. Some brands/batches will hold the bullet tighter than others. This is just the way it is. What sometimes happens with compressed loads with cases that don't give as much pull, the compressed powder will push the bullet back out some. These are cases that would be just fine for loads that are not compressed.
"Sehr schwer, mein Herr"

yockey5

Catman Jack
(6/18/07 7:17 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Compressed Loads
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I feel uneasy with any load that has the base of the bullet going deeper than the shoulder of the case. Seems to me this can lead to higher pressures before the bullet begins movement out of the case??????
Geboren om oude geweren te kopen

Have a nice day, unless you have other plans.

HerrMesser

Mr. Knife Guy
(6/18/07 10:47 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

It might raise pressures some but it will be within the manual's limits otherwise it would not be in the book. Liabilities limit.

Rad
NRA Life Member
AMA Life Member

txpete

Texas Two Wheeler
(6/18/07 4:50 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

with rounds like the 300 savage its pretty hard not the get the bullet below the case neck with heavy bullets.
now when loading lead gc bullets I never seat the bullets below the neck.it's just a saftey thing.if the gas check came off and got wedged in the case the pressure "could" go sky high.all the old lyman gas checks were slip on and couldn't be crimped on.
pete

gschwertley

saddle soap
(6/26/07 12:20 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

Pete --

I've thought about that situation with a loose gas check before. Since it's the same diameter as the bore and the case mouth, I have decided that it might not be much of a safety issue. Probably all that would happen is it would get blown out of the barrel with the bullet and powder gases.

Still, I don't like the idea. I'd rather have a GS that stayed on and did what it is supposed to do, plus leaves out any question of over-pressure. I use only the Hornady GS's that crimp on. They aren't likely to fall off, even with the 8mm Mannlicher cartridges where the case neck is fairly short.
"Sehr schwer, mein Herr"

M14man

high pow'r
(6/26/07 10:19 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

A gas check that gets left in the barrel (usually turns sideways) will usually get ironed in my the next round. Probably not the best thing for the barrel or subsequent accuracy. Who knows could even swell or stretch that area of the barrel ever so slightly.

gschwertley

saddle soap
(6/26/07 11:34 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

Since the dislodged gas check would still remain on top of the powder, wouldn't it just get blasted out right behind the bullet? I don't see how it could become lodged in the barrel and become an obstruction for the following bullet. I suppose anything is possible. Like I said, use Hornady crimp-on GC's and you won't have to wonder.

"Sehr schwer, mein Herr"