Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:00 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Transplanted from old YW site:

gschwertley

saddle soap
(4/28/07 1:55 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All

Russian steelcased .30-06
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I went to the range the other day, I took with me 6 rounds of Russian .30-06 ammo that were given to me. This was the steel-cased stuff. It had soft tipped bullets. At the base of the case, it had an annular groove or ring around it. The groove was approx. .100 inch in width, and started at approx. .185 from the base of the cartridge. This is in the area of the case that experiences the greatest pressure when fired.

I fired these at the range and whoo-ee, are they hot. The blast and recoil greatly exceed the 49.0 grains of IMR 4895, which is the approximate equivalent of US service cartridges in this caliber. In fact, the US Army tech manual specifies 49.0 grains of 4895; military 4895 is not exactly the formulation of cannister grade 4895, as it varies a bit, but pretty close.

For my bolt action .30-06, I often load below 49.0 grains of IMR 4895, like 46.0 for example. I fired some of these after firing the Russian steel-cased ammo, and it was like firing a .30-30 after firing a "normal" .30-06.

The headstamp on the Russian case says "30-06" and "SPRG" and has a little squiggle on the top. No number identification for the manufacturer, but I think the little squiggle design is for Barnaul in Russia.

The annular groove that was in the case before firing completely flattened out after firing. I wondered about this, so this morning I sectioned a fired case. Inside, it was flat in this area just like the outside, so I assume that before firing, this groove protrudes into the inside of the case just ahead of the primer holes (Berdan priming). I can only guess that this design is to reduce case expansion in the steel case that might otherwise make extraction of the steel case after firing difficult. Steel does not spring back like brass does. Even at that, the bolt lift was somewhat difficult when extracting the fired cases.

After six rounds, I have had my fill of Russian steel case rifle ammo. Who knows if the Russians have ever heard of SAAMI specifications; I would sure be hesitant to fire this hot stuff in my M-1 Rifle. While firing it in the bolt action, I had pictures in my head of that recent video from Great Britain showing the guys at the range firing the powerful rifle that flew out of their hands.
"Sehr schwer, mein Herr"

Edited by: gschwertley at: 4/29/07 1:25 am

Et2ss

The Source
(4/28/07 3:21 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Russian steelcased .30-06
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They make an auto loader (Saiga) in .30-06 wonder how it would do in that?
www.newphillysports.com

Mausermeister

Mossberg Hog
(4/29/07 10:29 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

Do not leave one of those cases in the chamber after firing. I had a friend bring me a rifle with one stuck in the chamber.

My assessment of what happened:
The lacquer coating collects in the groove. Upon firing, the heat and pressure melt the glob of lacquer. He was trying to sight it in and waiting between shots for the rifle to cool. Upon cooling, the molten lacquer then solidified, glueing the case in the chamber.

He ripped a chunk from the base of the chartidge and ruined his extractor trying to open the bolt.

I wound up pouring lacquer thinned down the barrel. After a few minutes I was able to take a rod and beat it out with a hammer from the muzzle end.
------------------------------------------------------

** Here, hold my beer. Hey, y'all, watch this!

** I know the voices aren't real, but they do have some good ideas!

OPossum TX

Marsupial Milsurper
(7/6/07 10:48 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

I got some "Brown Bear" 30-06 FMJ a while back on a lark, because it was cheap. While shooting it in one of my bolt guns, a fellow from down the line walked up and asked me, "WHAT ARE YOU SHOOTING?"

Apparently the flash I was seeing in the scope was nothing to what he was seeing from the side. He reported beach ball diameter flash with four foot tails and sparks out from the muzzle. This was visible in full sun light.

The accuracy was poor compared to some old U.S. ball I shot just after I was getting about 4" out of the ball and close to 18" with the "Bear" ammo at 100 yds.

crunchman

pawn shop predator
(7/6/07 10:58 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

The Brown Bear has been causing me grief in my AR. See my post in the Auto forum. I had the idea to tear some of it down and reuse the bullets but couldn't get the bullet out with a hammer type puller. Usually, I can pull a bullet after 5 or 6 blows, the Russky wouldn't pull after 50.

M14man

high pow'r
(7/6/07 4:17 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

I don't see any related post in the 'auto' forum?? Unless you meant the short stroke problem, but you said there it was related to your neck sizing.

Edited by: M14man at: 7/6/07 4:19 pm

txpete

Texas Two Wheeler
(7/6/07 6:36 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

steel cased russian ammo is for just fun plinking in my maks mosins and sks but I'll never run that stuff in my "other" guns.
pete

Walnuthead

Man about town
(7/14/07 11:49 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

Same here. I've read where it doesn't matter if you use steel in even a target rifle.........not mine!
Man About Town

mikmarjon

AWOL
(7/14/07 8:03 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

This is the first I've heard of this. All I've ever used in My sks's is the steel cased stuff and alwas have fair accuracy. I realize they are two different calibers but I wonder after hearing this if I would get even better results from My own reloads. I don't even have dies for this round yet but reload all of my 3006 with great results. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
come visit us and discuss the weapons of yesterday
yesterdays weapons forums
pub151.ezboard.com/bsteyrmannlicher