Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hard Primers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:10 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Transplanted from old YW site:

gschwertley

saddle soap
(6/26/07 12:25 am)
Reply | Edit | Del All

Hard Primers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Over the years, I have heard that some primers are harder than others. I have also heard that CCI primers tend to be on the hard side. I have used all kinds of primers over the years, including CCI and it has never been an issue.

Lately, I have been shooting some .30-06 in a single shot NEF Handi-rifle. This is the top-break design, and as such, the hammer mechanism is more similar to that of a pistol than that of a typical bolt-action rifle that has a long firing pin/striker and heavy spring. When firing some CCI-primed .30-06 ammo recently, I had a few misfires that fired the second time around. The primer strike appeared to be a little light, and I hadn't seen this with Federal or WW primers that I have used in loads fired through this rifle before.

All I can figure is that the NEF hammer doesn't drop quite as hard as the typical bolt action, and the CCI primers are just hard enough once in a while to notice this difference.
"Sehr schwer, mein Herr"

Oldernavy

Shutter Bug
(6/27/07 6:30 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Hard Primers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know about CCI 200 and 250 primers, but CCI #34 primers are deliberately made to be hard so they will not slam fire in semi and automatic rifles. I had this happen once, but I don't remember exactly whether I had CCI or Winchester primers, but I think I did use regular CCI primers.

gschwertley

saddle soap
(6/27/07 11:36 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

I should have mentioned that I was using CCI 200's, not the 34's which are intentionally made harder for the reason that you mention.
"Sehr schwer, mein Herr"

Kar98AZfan

Greenstate Guru
(6/28/07 5:47 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

Gary,I had one of the H&R single shots in .45-70 back in the 70s which did the same thing.Maybe its just the nature of thes rifles? That little bug notwithstanding,it was a great rifle.-TR
Never fail to do right.This will gratify some people and astonish the rest-Mark Twain

gschwertley

saddle soap
(7/6/07 2:40 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

I have another one, in .45-70 as the one you mention. Never had a problem with primer detonation with it, but always used WW primers.

Another thing about CCI primers is their size. Some primers fit tighter than others, which means some are larger around than other brands. The CCI's tend to be tight in primer pockets, so I assume they are slightly larger than other brands. I also have found Federal primers to fit a little more tightly than WW or RP.

Somewhere else on this board, there was recently posted an article about 'all you need to know about 9mm' in part of which was a discussion about various brands of brass. It was noted that Speer brass primer pockets were a little on the large size, and that CCI primers worked best in them. CCI and Speer are made by the same company, so perhaps that company just makes primer systems a hair larger.

Since I use a hand primer, I like to use primers that are compatibly sized to the pockets they are going into. To do otherwise is hard on the wrist and hand.