Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:19 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Transplanted from old YW site:

gschwertley

saddle soap
(5/19/06 3:49 am)
Reply | Edit | Del All

Commercial ammunition manufacture
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On another thread below, some defective 7.7 Japanese ammo was discussed. I think it was said that this ammo was purchased from a person who does commercial loading.

Over the years, I have known a commercial loader in California and have known a man here in Wash. that considered becoming a commercial loader. They both told me a few of the legal requirements for being in this business legitimately. For one thing, if you sell any ammo you have loaded yourself to another person, you are a commercial loader in the eyes of the law. In the eyes of the federal government, whenever you do this, you must obtain an FFL. There is a category of FFL just for this activity. To get an this kind of FFL, certain requirements must be met.

Another matter is that of insurance. Ammunition, for all of our familiarity of it, is inherently dangerous. Accidents have been known to happen with it. As an inherently dangerous product, you can imagine what view insurance companies have of the manufacturing of it. It is expensive when it's available.

As in any business activity, the various other levels of government (state, county, city, borough) can or may have other requirements (obstacles) to be met. They can interpose all kinds of roadblocks, like zoning requirements, limits on materials stocked, building codes, and other things they can think up before issuing licenses and permits.

Without meaning to sound condescending, I guess what I am getting at is we might be able to gauge an ammo manufacturer's commitment to his trade and to his customers by his level of commitment to the finer points of being "in the business."

yockey5

The Gremlin (uncloaked)
(5/19/06 9:04 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Commercial ammunition manufacture
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would never do it as a "business", however I would do it for a friend. Too much law now, for us to live free any more!

coffee pot