Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:35 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Transplanted from old YW site:

gschwertley

saddle soap
(12/27/05 10:15 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All

Pay Attention to Your Scale
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No matter how long you have been doing something, there is always room for error if you get careless. This happened to me recently and thank God I didn't have to pay for it with an injury.

I have an old RCBS 5-10 powder scale (made by O'Haus) that I have been using for well over 20 years. It is the model with a beam and weight in 10 grain increments, and a roller on the end of the beam for one grain and one-tenth grain increments. With the roller dialed all the way to the right, it is on zero, and dialed all the way to the left, it is on ten grains.

Somehow when I was metering 46.0 grains of powder recently, when I finished, instead of turning the roller all the way back to the right to zero, I must have turned it up to 10 grains, all the way to the left. What this did was add 10 grains to the beam. So, when I next tried to measure 50 grains of another powder, it was actually measuring 60 grains. It's a very good thing that I was using a charge of powder that nearly filled the case; 60 grains overflowed the case and made me investigate. It could have been much worse.

It's embarrassing, but I pass this along so others may take heed and put this lesson to good use. I will always check my scale very carefully in the future. I guess I got complacent and was giving it just a glance and that wasn't enough.

Maybe it's time to buy that electronic scale that I have been considering for some time.
"Sehr schwer, mein Herr"

yockey5

Coffee Pot
(12/28/05 4:29 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Pay Attention to Your Scale
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary, a post for safety is always welcome. I am glad you caught it when you did, it will make me more careful!
coffee pot

When your firearms are taken, your democracy no longer exists.

LoLo25643

Dragoon
(12/28/05 9:35 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

I've made the same type mistake before so your not alone.
Your Pard: LoLo

crunchman

southern BBQ tater chip
(12/28/05 9:47 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

I've done the same thing. That's why I'm glad Patty gave me a digital scale for Christmas.