[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Reloading: Standing or Sitting?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:17 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Moved from old YW site:

gschwertley

saddle soap
(4/4/05 12:14 am)
Reply | Edit | Del All

Reloading: Standing or Sitting?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have posed this question on another board, but I want to do it here too.

When I first started reloading over 20 years ago, my cousin Rich taught me the basics and he always reloaded standing up. I have continued that practice, and many years ago even built my reloading bench to a height appropriate to work at while standing. Lately, since I am getting older, I have built a new bench in another room with a new press. This set-up is for reloading while sitting. Although I like the part where you get to sit, I find that I have better leverage for the press while in a standing position. I also like to have the press up higher, as I can see things better if I am looking more straight out at it rather than down upon it. I find that I do not use the sitting set-up very much, but still go out to the old rig and stand up to work.

I would be interested to hear other participants on this board share their opinion on this preference.

I usually prime cases while sitting down in front of the TV.

My proclivity to standing while working goes farther back; my "dirty" workbench (reloading benches are "clean") for rebuilding carburetors, generators, alternators, starters, replacing u-joints, etc, I also built "high" years ago and stand at it to work. My friend John Vacca used to rebuild carburetors and even automatic transmissions on his kitchen table because he could sit down there to do it.

yockey5

Coffee Pot
(4/4/05 6:04 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Reloading: Standing or Sitting?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to artritus in my back I sit down to do my reloading.
Don
Yesterdays Weapons forums
http:pub151.ezboard.com/bsteyrmannlicher

stripperclip

mountain man
(4/4/05 6:38 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

I have a press on the way so once I set it up I'll tell you how I like it standing or sitting.

for twenty years or so I have been using lee loaders for all my reloading I did that sitting down if that helps.

nam barney

Casting Man
(4/4/05 6:49 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

I've allways reloaded in the sitting position. Never gave a thought to doing it upright. However I do have my press on a platform which stands about 11 inches above the table and places the station at eye level. Never have a need for a great amount of leverage since I began using Imperial sizing die wax. Seriously! Prior to that there were some reforming operations that required that I stand but not now Best thing since sliced bread!!

Nam

TNGunsmoke

rusty bucket
(4/4/05 7:45 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

I've always done mine sitting.
Come visit us and discuss the Weapons of Yesterday Yesterdays Weapons Forums

308Dave

veteran member
(4/4/05 10:24 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

I have always done mine sitting. I have a shelf at eye level for my scale.
Dave

"An armed society is a polite society"

gschwertley

saddle soap
(4/4/05 12:05 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

Standing or Sitting
When I built the sit-down reloading bench recently, I did built a platform for the press to get it as high as possible and retain some of the leverage. I'll have to look into the Imperial Wax deal. Nam, can you tell us more about it? I don't find a need usually for lots of leverage, it just seems like it's less awkward for me to produce any leverage standing than sitting. It could be what you get used to.

mikmarjon

Attic man
(4/4/05 1:02 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Standing or Sitting
I built mine a little high and use it both ways.I have a bar stool that is the perfect position if I want to sit.I have one of those two step stool's under the bench to put my feet on. For me at least,it works really well.
mike
come visit us and discuss the weapons of yesterday
yesterdays weapons forums
pub151.ezboard.com/bsteyrmannlicher

nam barney

Casting Man
(4/4/05 3:48 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Standing or Sitting
GS
I bought my Imperial from Midway. It comes in a little can which resembles a miniature shoe ploish can. I just dip my finger tip in it and rub that on my thumb and then rotate the case between them till it is covered. Doesn't require a lot either. I also use a Q tip to lube the inside of the neck. It might be more time consuming than other methods but I'm never in a hurry anyway and the end results make it all worthwhile. After the cases are resized/formed I tumble them to clean the wax off.

Nam