Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:07 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

When I was at the range the other day, I picked up some brass off the ground. One piece had a headstamp that said "Double Tap" which I'd never seen before. I went online to check out the brand and in so doing, went to their brass for sale page. Of the items the offer for sale, two caught my eye.

1. .40 Super. Necked pistol cartridge invented in 1996, uses a .45 Win Mag case and .401 bullet.

2. 9x25mm Dillon. Another necked pistol cartridge, developed in late 1980's and placed in use in 1990's, uses a 10mm case and 9mm bullet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:45 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

heard of the dillon but not the other , must say the only reason ive heard of either is because i have a couple really into it reloading and cartridge crazy friends , most of what they say goes way over my head

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:11 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

I have heard of double tap ammo.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:42 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

These two necked pistol cartridges remind me somewhat of the .357 Sig, which has been around for what, about 20 years? A number of law enforcement agencies have adopted the .357 Sig but public acceptance has been scant. For that reason, some pistol manufacturers have dropped it from their product lines.

So long as customers buy a certain thing, it will continue to be made. But law enforcement doctrine changes over time and favorite cartridges come and go. When this happens to .357 Sig, it doesn't look like there will be a following among civilian shooters to keep it alive as a currently-made cartridge.

.41 Rem. Mag., never happily nor widely embraced by law enforcement, picked up enough acceptance from civilian shooters to keep it alive. .41's are still being made as well as the ammo for them.

Speaking of .41's, there's an example of favored police rounds come and gone, the .41 Colt.

I don't know what will happen to the 10mm. At one time, it was touted as a new do-all cartridge for law enforcement, but it quickly was found to be too much for most officers. Hence the .40 S&W, which took off like a house afire. All the major ammo makers still offer 10mm auto. The Danish police in northeast Greenland are issued Glock Model 20's to protect themselves against polar bears.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:24 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

the little 10mm ive seen locally has been outrageous in price and was real dusty on the shelf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:20 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Guns are still made for 10mm but yes, it's expensive to shoot for a non-reloader.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:44 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Double Tap was supposed to be pretty potent pills, but Underwoods put them to shame.