[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - .44 Long Colt

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: .44 Long Colt
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:22 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Just a quick note, hopefully to clear up any confusion.
".44 Long Colt? There ain't no such animal."
Well Ultramax is selling them.

But I emailed them and they replied that the 44 Colt and 44 Long Colt are the same round.

Here are the dimensions:

Case length 1.100
diameter .453
rim diameter .481

I didn't ask them what the headstamp was. Since they are making "remanufactured" ammunition I imagine the headstamp on the once fired brass would be .44 Colt, not .44 Long Colt.
(remanufactured ammo apparently is reloaded ammo, just to commercial standards and with special attention to restoring the brass to like new condition before reloading)

This came about because an auction I was watching listed a Colt 1873 Single Action Peacemaker in 44 Long Colt unfired in Centennial Commemorative display box (even though when you look at the images it clearly says .45 Colt).

Post subject: Re: .44 Long Colt
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:41 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

hmmmm - if it says "45 colt" it is not a 44 colt , may just be a typo above but - just sayin they are different .

the 45 colt & 45 long colt [currant nomenclature ] is the same but im not sure on the 44 colt/44 long colt , i dont shoot these ,

a lot of this came around with the repops got popular in cowboy action , they were into guns that shot the 45 colt and 45 scholfield which is a short 45 , then shortened 45colt got made as 45 cowboy , combined with the 45 acp and 45 AR it can get confusing for the beginners to be sure , the 38s are equally complicating with the 38s&w , 38 colt short , 38 colt long and the 38 spcl not to mention the 38 supers then adding all the 9mm versions is also confusing ,

as long as you know what you need you are OK ,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:40 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

There was both a .44Colt short and long but not a .45 short Colt. The army adopted the .45 Schofield which was shorter than the colt and could be used in the SAA but not the reverse. It is said, and I tend to agree that this is why the term Long Colt was started.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:07 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:50 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Yes, clearly a typo. That said, cartridge labeling can get confusing since there was such a variety in the early days. The first Henry rifles fired a short 44 cal rimfire, but that was called 44 Henry Flat - from the flat nose bullet.

I have a Cimarron 1872 open top chambered in 44 Colt but use Starline 44 Russian brass since it's shorter than 44 Colt, thus able to chamber easily. It further works out that I can use 44 Russian cases to make 10.3 Italian Service revolver ammo. 44 Russian and Italian Service Revolver cases are the same length.

My Colt SAA is chambered in "44 S&W Special and Russian" or words to that effect. (I'm too lazy to root around in the safe for it.) SW

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:20 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

@ a square: Yeah, it was obviously a slip of the typist's finger. Didn't stop people from bidding it up though. It's at $2700 this morning. (But that's only in Canadian dollars. :-( )

yup - too bad it got bid so high without knowing what it was - or maybe some bid it up because they thpought they knew and someone else did not ? these things gotta be taken into consideration when bidding auctions , so many dont know what they really have or are hoping to profit on the confusion ???? ive always researched and bidor sold accordingly , some do not have the same standards , its what it is - buyer be ware type situation ,

as an aside , i often get 44colt brass in my pickups from shoots mixed with my 45colt brass - no-one gets all of their own brass back , there are always 38s in there too , mess in the tumbler if you dont sort up front and i dont , they end up stuck inside my 45s , but the 44-45 is not so easily recognized till they hit the first die - you just discard-pass to a friend who shoots these ,

i think the 45cowboy is in between the colt and scofield , but since i dont shoot them im not sure , ive heard they are cut down 45 colt brass , not at all sure why they do that when the 45colt work just fine in cowboy loads ,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:58 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I may have confused the .44 with .41 short and long Colts. There were also .44 long and short rimfire. Oh, the problems of trying to work from memory. Consulting my copy of Cartridges of the World there are many long and short .44s, both rimfire and centerfire but only one .44Colt listed.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON