[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Reloading 30 Herrett

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reloading 30 Herrett
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:15 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Once you catch on the setting 30-30 shoulder back just right to make 30 Herrett cases (it's tricky, and I can elaborate if anyone wants to discuss it) then comes the issue of accurate loads. There just isn't much data available.

It seemed to me 30 Herrett isn't too far from what could be called 7.62x39R. AA 1680 was supposedly developed for that cartridge so I gave it a try, reducing starting loads for 130 grain bullets.

Hornady shows WW296 with magnum primers for that weight bullet so I shot a group that didn't turn out too bad.
range2 003 (1024x768).jpg
range2 003 (1024x768).jpg [ 437.1 KiB | Viewed 8611 times ]

Tried AA 1680 as shown which shot 2 groups seen here. I'm sticking with that powder. No velocity since my chronograph was on the fritz. SW
range2 002 (1024x768).jpg
range2 002 (1024x768).jpg [ 372.7 KiB | Viewed 8610 times ]

Post subject: Re: 30 Herrett loads
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:51 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i think you got it dialed in pretty well , i have no knowledge of this cartridge at all but your target tells me you got it about right ,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:34 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Curious. What firearm shoots a 30 Herret?

Bern

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:42 pm 

I've got a 14" barrel for my Contender & cheep 3x scope. SW

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:27 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

14" ? hmmm , you law enforcement guys got it nice , i gotta pay through the nose and still get a bad rap for having something like that ,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:20 am 

I'm a retired railroader & a Contender is a single shot handgun. Pics tomorrow. SW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:43 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thats right - somehow thought you were LEO before that , my error , will enjoy seeing the photos ,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:58 pm 

I was in law enforcement back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. But it would be hard for even The Flash to make a Contender go FA. SW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:53 pm 

Time to clear up the confusion... Here's my Contender with 14" 30 Herrett barrel. Also shown in my 10" 41 Mag barrel.
30H 003 (1024x454).jpg
30H 003 (1024x454).jpg [ 330.14 KiB | Viewed 8582 times ]

Then there's the steps in making 30H cases. Left to right...

Once fired 30-30 case
Same run through the FL die to set the shoulder back
Then trimmed to 1.6"
Fire formed to blow the shoulder out to 30 degrees.
(No need to square the cases up - the lens distorted the image because I took the pic way close)
30H 006 (1024x768).jpg
30H 006 (1024x768).jpg [ 287.49 KiB | Viewed 8582 times ]

The case trimmer is hand crank, but I cheat & use a drill adapter = mucho faster.
30H 004 (1024x345).jpg
30H 004 (1024x345).jpg [ 160.41 KiB | Viewed 8582 times ]

And a full box ready for the range. 130 grain boolet.
30H 007 (684x1024).jpg
30H 007 (684x1024).jpg [ 319.37 KiB | Viewed 8582 times ]

So why go to all the bother? 30 Herrett was developed for metallic silhouette matches. I won a trophy or three with mine. 30H is also more efficient. 30-30 will give you a big fireball which isn't what you want. Powder burning outside the barrel isn't doing you much good. Like mastodon whacker loads in a 2.5" 357.

Plus it's fun to work up accurate loads where none can be found! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:37 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

so i wasnt totally mistaken then , good to know my brain still works on occasion , thats a pretty neat cartridge thanks for showing the process ,

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:52 pm 

It takes me a while to finish projects a lot of the time, but I hang in there. Grabbed the chronograph (with fresh 9v battery) & out to measure 30 Herrett velocity.

The loads are reformed 30-30 cases as described above. I used a Hornady 130 grain 'for handguns only' bullet over 24.0 grains AA1680. 14" barrel. Velocity for 5 shots...

1. 2157
2. 2137
3. 2183
4. 2119
5. 1991

No idea why #5 is lower, but the rest are consistent enough I'm staying with AA 1680 for this caliber. SW