Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reloading 10mm
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:31 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Rebel, are you getting your best accuracy from close to red line loads? I'm getting decent groups with hot AA #9 and blue dot loads, but there's room for improvement. SW

Post subject: Re: Reloading 10mm
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:40 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Yeah Pretty good, with my eyes and the shakes about an inch and a half @ 50'. I did switch to S and S polymer coated lead and it's doing about the same. I'm not showing any high pressure indications. Why are you having problems?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:58 am 

Really no problems - just looking for the sweet spot. I'm getting around 3" to 4" groups at 25 yards. I shoot for 30 minutes and shag brass for 90! ;) :bigrin:

My main issue is lining up the right part of the tri-focals with the sights. Which happens with anything I shoot. SW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:56 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

What kind of bullets are you using? These SNS coated ones seem a little more accurate than the Berrys I've been running.
I'll check my log book and see which ones are printing the best group and send you some of my data in a PM.
Mine didn't settle down until I put about 3-400 rounds thru it.
I know it's a pain in the ass, but it works. I broke the barrel in with Microlon Gun Juice. Basically 1 real wet patch and shoot one round, keep doing that until you get a 20 round count, wet patching between each shot. Trust me it works. It's a one time deal, I've been using this for about 5 years . Makes the bore real slippery and easier to clean.
They also make a gun grease that is GREAT, really slick and stays put. All my semi's and revolvers get it. Microlon Ultimate Blue or Ultra Blue. Ain't cheap, but it works. Comes in syringe form or 1oz tub. you can get it from Microlon or Amazon.
Stick a blue tarp up to your right and let the cases slow them down. I drove 4 nails into the posts at the out door range and I hang a tarp. One member complained about it so I took it down and kept shooting. Little while later he came over and asked if would put it up again, LOL. Guess he did appreciate the bombardment.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:32 am 

I'm shooting Hornady XTP hollow points right now but will try the ones you like. Time to order more anyway.

Too bad we don't have piggies around here - the 10 with hot loads would settle their hash pronto! SW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:58 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Sent you a PM. I wouldn't be afaid to use it on Antelope or Mule Deer. But for Personal Defense it would be great round. My son carries his for PD ( works just outside St Louis ) with no issues.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:44 pm 

Made it out with my cheep chronograph today. I took this data from the Hornady manual which is usually conservative. All the standard caveats and disclaimers apply here - YMMV and so forth.

Armscorp 180gr FMJ factory ammo.
1 - 937
2 - 1146
3 - 948

Mixed maker brass with Hornady 155gr JHP over 12.5gr Blue Dot powder
1 - 1367
2 - 1398
3 - 1359
4 - 1408
5 - 1304

Mixed brass with 180gr PRVI FMJ bullets over 14.4gr AA#9 powder
1 - 1163
2 - 1205
3 - err
4 - 1166
5 - 1187

So far I've had best accuracy with the 155gr Hornady JHPs. I'm really liking the 10mm!! :bigrin: SW