Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:03 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

For the past few years, most of my rifle case trimming has been done on the little "Zip Trim" made by Lee. I've talked about it on some of my other posts on this forum.

Lee makes the trimmer pilots and shell holder sets in specific caliber applications for the Zip Trim. It isn't a big problem to have a pilot and shell holder for each caliber, because Lee sells these very reasonably. They make them for the major milsurp calibers, but unfortunately, they do not make one for 8x56R. This seems strange, because this is a caliber that they make reloading dies and a bullet sizing die for. I've been waiting for them to come out with one for a while, but have given up. We can make our own.

I did this for 8x50R, because Lee didn't make a pilot/shell holder set for that caliber either. What I did was use the shell holder for 7.62x54R and the pilot for the same, but I carefully ground down the pin on the tip of the pilot to get the proper trimmed case length for the 8x50R Austrian. Sure, the pilot for the 7.62x54R isn't as big around as it should be for the 8x50R, but it's close enough that you get a nice, square, trimmed case mouth after using it.

So now what I am doing for the 8x56R is similar. I will use the shell holder for the 7.62x54R, and use the pilot from 8mm Mauser with the point dressed down just enough to get the right trim length on the 8x56R.

I have been using my old Hornady-Pacific lathe-type trimmer to do the 8x56R's, but now I can use the Zip Trim on everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:40 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I did the same thing for my Lee hand trimmer.

Dave