[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Lee Reloader question

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lee Reloader question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:46 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Which of the first two reloaders are better and easier to use?
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata.../rlpress2.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:43 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Post subject: LEE Press Recomendation
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:24 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

"OH BOTHER!" Exclaimed Pooh as he hurriedly worked the bolt to chamber another round.

"Yes, this is certainly a failure to stop situation." Piglet commented nervously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:55 pm 
Major
Major

Lee stuff in general is usually spartan in appearence, but fairly well made. Their dies may not be decoratively or hard chromed on the outside, but their deprime and expander button rod is collet-held which works better for me than anyone elses. To modify Possum's comment "They are elegant in their simplicity" yet function as well or better than more expensive and more complex brands. I bought extra decaping rod collets and use a ring spanner (Brit) i.e. box-end wrench to tighten them so I don't mess up the hex end of the collet like I did my first ones. If I ever get a stuck case it is a simple matter to correct the problem, but I have not had one in many years. I just think the collet centers the decap rod better and that is why lathes use collets to do precision work.

I would like to try the interrupted thread press, but wish the classic had this feature. I will probably buy the press by itself as I already have a ton of the accessory things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:45 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Go with the second kit. Looks like they have a hand primer included.
If you don't mind waiting for the backorder, you can save a bit on it here

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:13 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

We've discussed this subject a few times before on this forum, so you might want to go back and review to see if we miss anything this time around.

Of the two Anniversary kits that are nearly alike, I too prefer the hand priming tool. I have the on-press Lee priming tool but have never used it. Don't yet have any experience with the "new fangled" breech lock system.

If you are just starting out with handloading, it's kind of difficult to see into a crystal ball to see where you are going with it. If you could know that you were going to do lots of it for years, you might want to skip this step and spend the extra money on a little better equipment. That might mean the Lee Cast Press or the RCBS Rockchucker press. If you are only going to do limited handloading infrequently, either of the Anniversary kits would do. After you've been reloading for a while, you will appreciate the difference between the two levels of equipment. In reloading stuff, there isn't a wide range of difference in quality like there is in automobiles. Having said that, the aluminum Lee presses are like Ford Falcons and the Lee Cast Press or the RCBS Rockchucker are like Galaxie 500's. There are some other brands out there, like Lyman, Dillon, even Hornady, but going to them isn't like moving up to Lincoln Continental. I don't even like Lyman as much as RCBS and a Hornady might rate a Mercury Monterey.

So, back to my point, if you had any idea that you were going to stick with reloading and would be doing it for a while, you could consider applying the price of the entry level equipment to the higher price of the better stuff, especially if you knew you were going to "graduate" at some later time anyway.

If you can, find a mentor who is already handloading (make sure he has all ten fingers) and see how they are going about it. You can learn a lot from this process. By all means, get as many reloading manuals as you can afford. The Lee manual is okay, but none of their data is derived from their own testing and some data is missing like specific primers used, OAL is sketchy, specific bullet data is missing, etc. My favorite book over the years has been the Speer loading manual (I like their #13 better than the newer #14), but I also like Hornady and Hodgdon. The powder manufacturers give data away and I have found theirs to be useful.

I've been handloading for about 25 years, and I don't have the same stuff all made by the same company. I have a mix mostly of Lee and RCBS, but truth be told if money were no object, I'd probably stick with RCBS. No company makes 100% of everything I like, and I have one of the RCBS hand priming tools which I don't like. I much prefer Lee's hand priming tool. On the other hand, like one of the other posters above, I can't stand the Lee powder scale or their powder measure. I have a Lee Cast Press, but usually use my RCBS only because of where it is located. My dies are a mix of Lee and RCBS. I have a Hornady-Pacific case trimmer, but much prefer these days to use the cheap little Lee Zip Trim for that work. Much of my lead bullet casting equipment is Lee for reasons of economy.

Once again, if you are just starting out, don't jump into the progressive equipment until you really know what you are doing on single stage processes. Even after 25 years, I've been content to stay with single stage as speed is not my object.

One last comment. If you are just getting into handloading, you are doing so in perilous times. The cost of components has never been as high as it is right now, even in relative terms. Handloading to save money is evaporating away, but if you are doing it to satisfy a need for hard-to-find former military calibers, it will still work for you.