[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Reloading Manual

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reloading Manual
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:09 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I just picked up the new, 14th edition of the Speer reloading manual on the way home from work. Almost $40!!!! :-o
I haven't even taken the plastic off it yet. I'm afraid the solid gold lettering might fall off! Egads :-o
Now I cant afford those little metal things that come out the end of the barrel.
I sure wish my wages would keep up with the cost of everything else. :-(

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:35 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Dang you could have had mine :-o I never use the Speer manual.
Want I want is a copy of Ken Waters' "Pet Loads" now that's around $60 (ouch!)

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:27 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Need to get the new edition of the Lyman shotshell handbook too. I don't even want to know the price of that one :-(

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:04 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

Since I am a fairly seasoned handloader, I don't use the manuals as much as I used to. This is because I have fairly established loads that I use consistently now. The one caliber that I still experiment with some, 8x56R, isn't in the books anyway.

When I leaned hard on the manuals, the Speer book was the one I went to first. My cousin got me started with it 25 years ago, and I got used to it. The Speer book tends to the conservative side, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. When they come out with a new edition, I like to get a copy. When my wife asked me about the nature of a gift I might want, I suggested the 14th Edition of the Speer book. If she's going to waste money on a gift, she might as well waste it on something I would spend money on anyway. I was a little disappointed with the 14th Edition; I tend to still use the 13th if I'm going to use one at all. One disappointment was the exclusion of 7.5x55 Swiss data, a cartridge which has become quite widespread since the 13th Edition was published. Disappointing.

Ah, the Ken Waters "Pet Loads" books (2 volumes). I've owned them twice and sold them off twice. Although there is a lot of good information in them, basically they are a compendium of magazine articles that he wrote over the years and much of this material is now quite dated. Particularly in the way of components used/available. I've also noticed that he often lays the powder on with a heavy hand, so be sure to cross check his recommended loads with others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:11 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Well got the plastic off the book and was a little disappointed. There are a number of new cartridges, but I don't really like the new graphics and charts. I think it is a little harder to read than the former edition.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Gary,

I Want Ken Waters' book for the older obscure calibres. He usually breaks down the loads into 3 groups (or strength of actions) Plus I kind of like the 'magazine article' read :D Lots of history to be had in his writings.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:35 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post subject: Re: Reloading Manual
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:56 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Dang Texans keep sending me stuff :lol