Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 9mm Mak Conversion
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:37 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Well, I just got a CZ82, and have no 9mm Mak brass. So I decided to convert some 9mm Parabellum cases to Mak. Wasn't all that hard. Just sized a 9mm Para case with the 9mm Mak sizing die. Ran it through the expander die which made an excessive bell. Had to do that so the Lee case length gauge I have with my Lee cutter and lock stud set could slip into the case. Trimmed off the 1mm necessary, which also took out the excessive bell. Chamfered it, and resized it one more time. Took a Sharpie and colored the head of the case black so I would not mix it up with my 9mm Parabellum cases.

Looks good, measures OK. Just need to get to the range and try them.

Post subject: Re: 9mm Mak Conversion
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:14 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Sounds easy enough. I picked up a Lee 9x19 trimmer to grind a little off the tip for trimming 9mm to Mak case length.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:09 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

sounds like a good solution to the recent lack of mac in my local stores , the last time i actually saw a box on the shelves it was well over $20 too

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:25 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Well, I have 50 rounds of 9x18 loaded with cut down 9x19 brass.

Because of the difference in case length listed in the different reloading manuals (There is also a difference between Starline and Norinco case lengths) I wanted to try a case. So before loading the cases with powder and bullet I put a case with a primer only into an CZ82. The primer went off and had a good dent in it.

Now they are filled with 231 and Berry's plated 95gr bullets and ready to go to the range.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:09 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

so did you use the luger dies ? im new in this realm and dont get all the nuances of this yet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:00 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Hi A square. I don't think I mentioned it but I picked up 200 9mm Luger brass when we were at the Fair Grounds show. Cut them down to 9x18, so I should had enough for awhile. I followed gandog's lead and marked them with a sharpie.

Can't use a 9mm Luger die for the 9mm Mak, the bullet diameter is different. 9x19 or 9mm Luger uses a .356 bullet. 9x18 or 9mm Makarov uses a .364 bullet. So the 9x19 die would resize the brass too small for the 9x18 bullet to fit in. I bought a set of Lee dies for the mak and they work great.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:01 am 
OUTLAW

ditto I have been doing it for years now.I use the lee mak trimmer no problem.just run them thru the mak sizer die and trim.
my first firing I use my cast 95 gr lrn bullet (.365) and 3.0 grs bullseye.
when I go to the range I picked up all the 9mm luger brass laying around.commerical cases are easier to make into mak brass as the brass is thinner.

pete

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image